all members randomly getting reset to default skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all members randomly getting reset to default skin

my site is having a problem similar to this.

www.yugiohforums.com

vB 3.8.3
    default skin = light default

system is set to allow members to choose their skin

pick any skin other then default.
    go into one of the forums example
    click on a thread, then click back to forum, then click on a different thread...
    eventually (usually only take 3 or 4 threads) you will see that it jumps you back to default skin when you leave the thread and go back to the forum.
    at this point the issue becomes 100% reproducible for that skin. set it back to the non default skin you were using, click on that thread you were looking at, then when you click out of the forum you will be set back to default skins.

i have gotten this to happen when clicking from forum to thread back to forum over and over. i also got this to happen by clicking from "new post" to thread back to "new post" over and over again.

i have reproduced this with each of my non-default skins.

i appreciate and information or insight.
    thanks

I clicked through several threads and the style remained constant.

_____

To force one style on everyone, set the default style to the one style you want to use:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Default Style

Then set this to No:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Allow Users To Change Styles

Note that admins can view other styles regardless of these settings. For example, you can click on a style's name in the Style Manager and that will set a cookie in your browser to view that style instead of the default.

_____

Also make sure that no forums are using a custom style:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Custom Style for this Forum

_____

This could also be a problem with cookies or logins. Are your users getting logged out or is the login changing when this problem happens?

Comment

yes thanks for looking into it.

strange, the problem that was consistently reproducible for over 12 hours just up and went away. it was affecting all members and all skins. no modifications were disabled.

again thanks for your time.

Comment

my users are getting logged out when this happens. if this is a cookie issue or something different, what do I need to do to remedy this. I have already verified the steps below are set correctly in my forum.

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
        I clicked through several threads and the style remained constant.

_____

To force one style on everyone, set the default style to the one style you want to use:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Default Style

Then set this to No:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Style & Language Settings -> Allow Users To Change Styles

Note that admins can view other styles regardless of these settings. For example, you can click on a style's name in the Style Manager and that will set a cookie in your browser to view that style instead of the default.

_____

Also make sure that no forums are using a custom style:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Custom Style for this Forum

_____

This could also be a problem with cookies or logins. Are your users getting logged out or is the login changing when this problem happens?

Comment

Many portals and other addons will modify login forms and links to use full URLs which can cause these kinds of login problems. Sometimes you can fix this by editing the cookie domain:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options

Try using a cookie domain like this (which uses your domain name, including the beginning dot):

.domain.com

That will make it so your forum cookies work from any subdomain of your domain, with or without "www". You will need to log out and login to your forum again for the changes to take effect. You may have to manually delete the cookies from your browser.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X