Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding 'missing' avatar icons in Friends List

Howdy all.

I'm sure this is just a configuration problem on my part. For some reason, only avatars of Moderators and Administrators are visible on Friends and Contacts and on posts in Social Groups. Avatars of Members are not visible, instead a default image is displayed. This only occurs in these specific areas. Any ideas on why this is?

Thanks.

Those are avatar thumbnails. Make sure the images/avatars/thumbs directory is writable (chmod 777). If you are storing custom avatars in the file system then make sure that directory is also writable. Then run this:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild Custom Avatar Thumbnails

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild Avatar Thumbnails

Comment

Hi Jake.

No success. Followed instructions as below. I am manually uploading member avatars to each member profile in Admin CP and they are being stored in the database. After making 'thumbs' writable and performing two maintanence runs as outlined below, directory 'thumbs' remains empty and no avatar thumbnails were created. Still, as before, avatar thumbnails for both Moderators and Admins are being displayed fine. Please advise. Thanks muchus.

Code:
      chmod 777 thumbs

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild Custom Avatar Thumbnails

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters -> Rebuild Avatar Thumbnails

Comment

Make sure those users actually have avatars. I have seen some people confuse avatars with profile pictures. These are different things.

Comment

Hi Jake.

Been running vBulletin many years. I know the different between Profile Pictures and Avatars.

Do you have any other suggestions as to the cause of the error, or should I file a ticket report for further investigation?

Comment

Please provide a link to a user profile that has this problem.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hello Steve.

We do not allow guest profile viewing by default. However, please find below a screenshot of a profile page. The solitary avatar thumb you see belongs to a moderator. The default "?" thumbnails belong to members.

Comment

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi Steve.

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your instructions and discovered the problem still exists.

1. vBulletin does not detect any suspect file versions, other than my robots.txt file.
                  2. A new style created with no parent and a full browser cache clear did not resolve the problem.
                  3. I am not using any plugins.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Sorry but I'm going to need you to allow guests to view and provide a URL.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I am having a similar problem. Only admins can upload and use avatars. They will not upload for forum users. I cannot find any difference either on folder permissions or forum permissions on Avatars. Please feel free to check it out at www.jouster.com. Just sign up and give it a try. Both admins have no trouble at all. Folders have everyone and I_user accounts with write permissions.

Comment

Please start your own thread with all the relevant details. Thank you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X