Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Data Provider / RSS doesn't seem to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Data Provider / RSS doesn't seem to work?

I am trying to use the RSS feed from my vBulletin forum to post in a widget for my Wordpress blog. All I really need to put in the widget is the RSS URL:

http://www.netbookreviews.com/forum/external.php

But it gives me a 404 error saying it's not found.

Is there some sort of setting I'm missing / need to change?

I already went to:

Admin CP > External Data Provider > Enable RSS Syndication = Yes

What can be the problem? I know it's not wordpress in this situation as I've had other issues getting it to show up elsewhere as well.
    ChrisGuthrie.net - Forums and Blogging

I got your forums feed.

Comment

Ok then why are external sources failing to do so? I tested the blog's RSS feed in the widget and it worked fine but when I use the RSS feed from the forum in the widget it breaks.

Comment

it worked for me just fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzyname View Post
          it worked for me just fine too.
          Did you read my last post? I see it to but my point is that external sources are not seeing it.

Any ideas?

I need this to work in order to get threads from the forum to display in the wordpress blog.

Comment

No help?

Comment

What does that mean - 'external sources do not see it'? Sounds like a problem with those sources, not vB.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

But if any other RSS feed works (and I've tested it...) from various blogs etc. then doesn't it fall back on being an issue with vBulletin in someway?

Comment

We still need some specific info in order to investigate this. So far all evidence shows there is nothing wrong with the vB feed.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm using wordpress as a blog and when I try to pull the RSS feed from a widget onto the blog it doesn't work.

On the blog I've tried a bunch of different RSS feeds and they all work fine so I have to assume it's an issue with the forum RSS feed.

Thoughts?

Comment

Nevermind lol... I just turned the RSS feed into a feedburner brand feed and now that feed works.

Comment

I have the very very same issue. Using a 3rd party script I can not get RSS feeds to work on a different site. I tried many feeds from other sites and they all worked. I tried what ChrisGuthrie said with feedBurner and works very well. I just don't get it. So why would you think this doesn't work the right way and I have to have FeedBurner provide a feed.

This my RSS Feed http://diyforum.askmediy.com/external.php?type=RSS2 that doesn't work in my 3rd. party script, but shows as a good feed.

Comment

Originally posted by amorosso View Post
                          I have the very very same issue. Using a 3rd party script I can not get RSS feeds to work on a different site. I tried many feeds from other sites and they all worked. I tried what ChrisGuthrie said with feedBurner and works very well. I just don't get it. So why would you think this doesn't work the right way and I have to have FeedBurner provide a feed.

This my RSS Feed http://diyforum.askmediy.com/external.php?type=RSS2 that doesn't work in my 3rd. party script, but shows as a good feed.
                          Sorry, we do not provide supprot for third-party scripts here. Contact the author of that script.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Just as a heads up, I ran into the same issue. I can pull any feed I want with fetch_feed except for a vb feed. That includes rss feeds from all vbulletin websites, including this one. I know you dont support 3rd party scripts but, it should not be overlooked that something about the vb feeds are some how non standard.
                            Chuck
                            SiriusBuzz.com

Comment

Run our feeds agasint an RSS validator, they validate 100%.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X