X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GraViTY
    replied
    AdminCP>Forums & Moderators>Show All Moderators
    Click Edit Permissions (For each person) You have to click each person manually

Post / Thread Permissions>Can Physically Delete Post

Leave a comment:

• nocturnix
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    There is - its called soft delete, which is basically the same thing. You should not allow any usergroup except admins the ability to hard delete threads or posts.
    hi, i do not see where I can specify "hard delete" versus "soft delete" in usergroup permissions.

I only see "can delete own threads" etc. Must be in the wrong place.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    Originally posted by nocturnix View Post
    Why is there not feature like this?
    There is - its called soft delete, which is basically the same thing. You should not allow any usergroup except admins the ability to hard delete threads or posts.

Leave a comment:

• nocturnix
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald0 View Post
    I very well understand that, but the solution that i had is much more easier. =X
    You have to admit. But yes i was saying the diskspace and blah blah blah as an example for what could happen, but with all those different settings who knows.

You trust your staff 100% then that is fine its none of my business. I was just letting you know how to fix it in the future.

Also another way to fix the problem is make daily backups of the sql database. My web host does it automatically for me so i dont have a problem or worrying about it.
    I have a backup with the thread. But I am not a mySQL expert so I cant pull out the thread from a backup and add it to the live forums. I see that as being a disaster.

The easiest solution I can think of is to setup a test server with vb installed, restore from the backup and pull out the vb code from each post, but that doesnt fix the problem of replies etc. Alot of the content was in replies as it was a game guide that all the members worked on.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald0
    replied
    I very well understand that, but the solution that i had is much more easier. =X
    You have to admit. But yes i was saying the diskspace and blah blah blah as an example for what could happen, but with all those different settings who knows.

You trust your staff 100% then that is fine its none of my business. I was just letting you know how to fix it in the future.

Also another way to fix the problem is make daily backups of the sql database. My web host does it automatically for me so i dont have a problem or worrying about it.

Leave a comment:

• nocturnix
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronald0 View Post
    I dont know but hey im sorry about what happened, there is a leason to learn on who to trust and who not to trust. There is a easy solution to this, and adding a trash can is not one, that would make a mess of the diskspace.

What you do is set your user to super admin. ONLY YOURS, then in every usergroup disable "permenatly delete" That why they can only soft delete and you can go in and undelete those.

Sorry about the loss. Good luck in the future as well.
    OK thanks for the response but I respectfully disagree. This would not be a mess of disk space if implemented correctly. Its quite simple:

-have it set to 30 days by default
    -make it so admins can adjust the time a post sits in the trash can (could make it 24 hours to conserve disk space, even big forums dont have THAT many deleted threats to where 24 hour trashcan would have a major impact).
    -make it so admin can simply turn this feature off.

And viola, problem solved and you dont have frustrated customers like me who now have to figure out how to get this thread back.

I trust my moderator staff 100%. they keep my sites running and the community happy. it was an honest mistake that could have happened to anyone, myself included.

Leave a comment:

• Ronald0
    replied
    I dont know but hey im sorry about what happened, there is a leason to learn on who to trust and who not to trust. There is a easy solution to this, and adding a trash can is not one, that would make a mess of the diskspace.

What you do is set your user to super admin. ONLY YOURS, then in every usergroup disable "permenatly delete" That why they can only soft delete and you can go in and undelete those.

Sorry about the loss. Good luck in the future as well.

Leave a comment:

• nocturnix
    started a topic Accidently Deleted thread...

Accidently Deleted thread...

One of my moderators accidentally deleted a big important thread. I was shocked to find no trashcan feature in the latest version of VB. Am I missing it, or is there simply no trash can feature where deleted posts hang out for 30 days?

Why is there not feature like this? Does not make any sense to me at all. It is simple, easy to implement, and would save major fiascos like having to restore from an old backup and move the thread over or write complicated database queries.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X