Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom avatars not working after upgrading from 3.6.8 to 3.8.3

Hello,

I recently upgraded a forum I'm running from 3.6.8 to 3.8.3, everything seems to work fine except for the fact that all custom avatars don't work. When inserting the link from another website, or uploading directly from a computer. The pre-defined generic avatars work fine. What is causing this, and where can I go to fix this?

Any help or push in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

odo-

What happens exactly?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

under user cp > settings and options > edit avatar

When I select "Use Custom Avatar" and "Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website" or "Upload Image From Your Computer " and click "Save Changes", the image appears broken.

odo-

Comment

custom avatars were working fine before the upgrade, but after.. they stopped working.

Comment

Appear broken? No errors? Can you provide a link?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Make sure your templates are compatable with 3.8. There was at least one change during the 3.7 series that made 3.6's postbit template break slightly.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response,

I tried reverting the postbit and postbit_legacy templates but they didn't fix the issue..

could it be that during the upgrade, the pathway to where the uploaded customized avatar images are located was altered?

Im pretty new to the whole vBulletin enviornment, what do these post bits do?

odo-

Comment

I just created a new style with the original settings. With this new style I tried to upload an 80x80 avatar image to see if it would show up, but even with the original vBulletin style it still will not work..

some button images in general are not working either, like the multi quote button.
                Last edited by odo; Wed 1 Jul '09, 2:38pm.

Comment

What is a link to that user profile?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm a little confused, you want the link to the forum? I've set the forum with the original style and settings to dont allow user selection.

Comment

Yes, I want the link to a user profile in which you say an avatar has been uploaded but does not display.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Hi, Thanks for your help.

I just created this profile: ADMINTESTING

http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/forums...intesting.html

On the profile it says no avatar, but when I upload the avatar (edit avatar>custom avatar) and click save changes the avatar just shows up as a broken image

Comment

You do not allow guests to view that page. However I suspect this is a problem with vBSEO's redirect.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yes I noticed when I disable vBSEO, custom avatars work. I have a question before I do this:

reupload all original vB non-image files..

does this mean upload everything except the image folder and install.php?

Thanks for your help~

Comment

If this works with vBSEO disabled then that's the problem. You should contact them for help with this. It probably needs just a slight adjustment.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X