Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Google is indexing our private messages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by *Laura View Post
    We've figured out the problem.
    What was the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    It is a good tool to know exactly where users are and to track things like Googlebot. It can also be used to track down the IP addresses of people trying to flood your system with queries.

You can turn it off on a per-usergroup basis in the Usergroup Manager but its a useful administration tool in its own right because vBulletin doesn't track IP addresses unless the user registers or makes a post.

Leave a comment:

• *Laura
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Yes. Shouldn't disable it. Its a good tool for administrators to know what is going on within their site.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated. We've figured out theproblem.

Question: why *shouldn't* we disable Who's Online???

Not following you there.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I have "who's online" disabled. Quick Links > Who's Online, correct?
    Yes. Shouldn't disable it. Its a good tool for administrators to know what is going on within their site.

There is no way for a guest users to see private messages in vBulletin because they don't have a profile and cannot use the system at all. They would see a No Permission screen asking them to login. If you modified the software with addons, then you will need to look at your addons and see if any of them add this "feature".

Leave a comment:

• *Laura
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Is there a red stop sign icon shown in the Who's Online? If so they are seeing a no permission page. Google will blindly fallow any link it sees unless you control it with robots.txt.
    I have "who's online" disabled. Quick Links > Who's Online, correct?

Leave a comment:

• *Laura
    replied
    I know it is happening because I can "see" the results when I do a google search!

Can you give me additional information re: what specifically you want me to do with "robots.txt"?

Laura

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Any ideas on how to stop google from crawling and indexing our private messages?

Laura

http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/forums
    I know that it is a very uncomfotable feeling to see it trying to do it.
    It's like a ghost,unstoppable.
    Actually it is not indexing,you may see a Stop sign which prevents it to do it.

Google Adsense is the name of it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Is there a red stop sign icon shown in the Who's Online? If so they are seeing a no permission page. Google will blindly fallow any link it sees unless you control it with robots.txt.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Any ideas on how to stop google from crawling and indexing our private messages?

Laura

Why do you think PMs are being indexed?

Leave a comment:

• xxalexkimxx
    replied
    This one is weird, how can a guest have all full permission to view the PM?
    I haven't face this problem before yet, so I don't know. I will keep checking this thread to see if there's answer for this one, so I will know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• *Laura
    started a topic Help! Google is indexing our private messages!

Help! Google is indexing our private messages!

Laura