Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Remove Posts without effecting User Post Count

Just like the thread title says:

Is there a fix/change I can implement that would allow me to be able to delete thread posts but not have it effect the users post count?

Basically if a user has 400 posts and I remove one of their posts they would still have 400 posts instead of that post count going to 399 because I removed one of their posts.

If any further clarity is needed please let me know.

If there is a way to do this, could someone explain this somewhat thoroughly as I do understand the admincp, but I am not a wizard. TIA.

Short answer, no.

You would have to modify a fair bit of code for that.
    Lats...

Comment

if u dont like any post/thread then u can delete all content of that thread/post and after that close that thread.

I think this is the best method if u dont like to effect on user count.

Comment

If you're wanting to remove the post from public view or something, then just move it to a private forum which only you have permissions to view. Their post count will stay the same and it will be as if the post no longer exists on the board.
        Regards,
        Nick

Comment

you can make a users post count anything you want as an admin - go to admincp and then select the user you want - his current post count will be displayed in his profile - so if you are deleting a thread with some of his posts in it simply note the users post count before you delete the posts and then alter it back to what it was

Comment

Originally posted by tony adams View Post
            you can make a users post count anything you want as an admin - go to admincp and then select the user you want - his current post count will be displayed in his profile - so if you are deleting a thread with some of his posts in it simply note the users post count before you delete the posts and then alter it back to what it was
            That is not a good way to handle this at all because as soon as any counters are updated, the value will be reset based on real posts.
            No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

I found this mod over on vbulletin.org a while back and it works a treat.

Link

Just import it as a product and it's good to go

It stops the reduction of post counter, when pruning etc. I hope this is what you are after.

I have it installed on 3.8.2

Enjoy!

Comment

That is not a good way to handle this at all because as soon as any counters are updated, the value will be reset based on real posts.
                thats true - which leaves you with 2 choices if it is something that you want

1 - alter them again
                2 - dont update the counters

Comment

thats true - which leaves you with 2 choices if it is something that you want

1 - alter them again
                  2 - dont update the counters
                  This is just plain silly and certainly is not a viable choice.

Refer to posts #4 and #7 for proposed solutions.
                  Regards,
                  Nick

Comment

how is it silly - it may not suit you but it may others - i run a small board and to some of my posters their post count is important - when i migrated to vb from another system they wanted their post count from the earlier board to show

i could not find any other solution than the one i outlined - it works - it may not suit you but it does the 30 odd members at my board

it is viable - it works

Comment

how is it silly - it may not suit you but it may others - i run a small board and to some of my posters their post count is important - when i migrated to vb from another system they wanted their post count from the earlier board to show

i could not find any other solution than the one i outlined - it works - it may not suit you but it does the 30 odd members at my board

it is viable - it works
                      It is not a practical solution for most boards and limits other functionality, such as updating counters. With the way the database is denormalized (storing counts in fields rather than running a count function for performance reasons) it is essential that board owners are able to update their counters.

This might be fine for you...but for most, not practical.
                      No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

well is there then away to hide post count altogether rather than having to worry about having to be concerned with post count?

i.e - hide the number of posts to the right under where it says my location.

Comment

Remove this from the postbit template...
                          Code:
                               <div>
                                $vbphrase[posts]: $post[posts] 
                               </div>
                          Lats...

Comment

In short...

Make a category called Thread/Post Bin - make it only viewable to admins & your mod staff... Then get all your mods and staff who are responsilbe to just move the thread to the category.

It is a sytem that many forums use & is very successful.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X