Having some serious memory issues with vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having some serious memory issues with vBulletin

I run a decently populated vBulletin and have had what I've always called "growing pains" as we've gotten bigger. Recently I'm more concerned as I'm having trouble keeping the machine up that is running the software.

I have a VPS from Slicehost that started off as a 256MB (RAM) slice. I have since bumped it up to 512MB, then 1GB, and now 2GB. The transition from 256->512->1024 was decently spaced out. Because of the low memory available, the transition from 1024->2048 happened in about a week. Even now, days after the transition to 2048, the machine is still constantly swapping and essentially running out of available memory.

I've inquired about optimization for MySQL and Apache on these forums and with the information, have not been able to change the outcome. The server is a fresh (few months) build of CentOS 5.2 and only runs Apache, MySQL, PHP, SSH, and Sendmail. We average roughly 300-400 concurrent users with spikes up to 600-700. What kind of memory is required to run the software successfully with these numbers?

Edit: I've attached current "top" output.
    Attached Files
    Console Racing Review

With 300 concurrent users, you should be on a dedicated server. On a VPS, you are still sharing memory hardware and CPU resources with an unknown number of other websites. OS virtualization will only take you so far. A single dual-core server with 4 GB of RAM should handle your site nicely.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I would agree more if I hadn't seen the kind of load I have on this VPS, without any serious issues. I removed the enormously large log files from Apache and I've been doing fine since. We'll see what happens when load hits its maximum on Monday. I've been running 300+ sessions since last night with no issues.

Are there recommended dedicated server providers? Only one I know of is Rackspace, and their cost is just too much for me right now. Hard to justify $400+/mo when you're only serving 300 concurrent users.
      Console Racing Review

Comment

How about Steadfast Networks?
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X