Best way to perform DB backups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to perform DB backups

I am currently trying to put together an automated backup plan for my server (dedicated so I can do anything), and need some advice.

The instructions here are fairly self explanatory:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup

I currently run this through a scheduled batch script (this is a windows box)

However I have a question, this method of backup takes around 5 minutes (which is fair enough as the final db backup file is around 500mb). The thing that concerns me is that while this backup is in process the site is still "live" so people are still hitting the DB, will this backup process still work reliably on a live site, or should the site be shutdown during the backup?

If the latter, how can I gracefully shutdown the site (i.e. display the normal "site is down messages" available through acp), from an external process.
    Last edited by MrEyes; Mon 13 Apr '09, 2:58am.
    This is a signature, with a picture

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum

mysqlhotcopy is your best bet for a live board.

Comment

Originally posted by punchbowl View Post
      mysqlhotcopy is your best bet for a live board.
      The problem with that is that it locks a table while it backs it up, so if the site is live and something attempts to write to that table the user will see a DB error (i think, so I am more than happy to be corrected here)

I have no problem in temporarily shutting the site down, but I need to know how to do this from an external process.
      Last edited by MrEyes; Mon 13 Apr '09, 4:10am.
      This is a signature, with a picture

sigpic

UK Motorbike Forum

Comment

I think you'll get, at worst, "mysql has gone away" errors and I'm not even sure you'll get them tbh.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134821 "54secs for 750mb"

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X