Editing the "Powered by vBulletin"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing the "Powered by vBulletin"

I tried to edit the "Powered by vBulletin" text at the top of my main page here;

http://www.foodtvfans.com

What happened is that it edited the footer that I am not allowed to without paying extra, so I changed it back. I attempted that under Phrase Manager.

How do I edit what it says at the top of the browser alone without violating my license agreement?

Thanks

FoodTVFan

You can't. You have to put up with it.
    Unless you buy a licence that is branded free so that you don't have the powered by vBulletin on the forum
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

It can be edited in the forumhome template
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by hawksgirl View Post
        You can't. You have to put up with it.
        Unless you buy a licence that is branded free so that you don't have the powered by vBulletin on the forum
        Thank you for your reply. I am not talking about the footer, I am referring to what is at the top of the browser.

For example;

Up there. Where it says - Powered by vBulletin - etc

How to change that?

Thanks

Comment

The easiest way would be to edit the x_powered_by_vbulletin phrase.

edit: and for the record, you ARE allowed to remove the Powered by vBulletin on the footer.

You just have to keep the copyright which only consists of "Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd."

Comment

Do you have to pay the branding free option to have permission to remove "powered by vbulletin" from the <title> .. </title> tags by editing the x_powered_by_vbulletin phrase? So it won't show in the title or top of the browser?

No. You can do this for free, no branding-free license has to be purchased.

Do you have to pay the branding free option to have the permission to remove "powered by vbulletin" from the footer of each page, by removing it from the template or editing the phrase, so it won't show in the footer of the browser?

Yes. You have to pay for this, it's otherwise not permitted.

I hope that clears it up.

Comment

Thank you kindly. I used the "phrase manager" and changed where it said "Powered by vBulletin" to "Making you Hungry Online". Seems to have worked to that effect and did not change the footer.

Cool! Thank you.

FoodTVFan

Comment

Originally posted by FoodTVFans View Post
                Thank you kindly. I used the "phrase manager" and changed where it said "Powered by vBulletin" to "Making you Hungry Online". Seems to have worked to that effect and did not change the footer.

Cool! Thank you.

FoodTVFan

Mr. Butter and Floris, I am sorry, I forgot to say thank you to you personally. Some of this can be a little on the learning curve. So thank you for your help.

Comment

Floris, are you sure?

I've heard numerous times that the only 100% required part is the copyright line and that you MAY remove the "Powered by" line. If I'm not mistaken I believe Steve has confirmed that in the past.

But I might just be imagining things

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Butter View Post
                    Floris, are you sure?

I've heard numerous times that the only 100% required part is the copyright line and that you MAY remove the "Powered by" line. If I'm not mistaken I believe Steve has confirmed that in the past.

But I might just be imagining things
                    I thought so too, but I'm unsure as well. It's impossible to find it via search because everything brings up threads regarding the Powered By in the page title.
                    Regards,
                    Nick

Comment

Taken from the vB site Sales FAQs:

Can I remove the 'Powered by vBulletin' copyright text?

No - All copyright messages (both in the software code and templates) must be retained and visible.

A 'branding free' license is available at a cost of $170 per license, in addition to the cost of the license itself.

Once you have purchased this option, you will have the right to remove all references to Jelsoft and vBulletin from the vBulletin design templates, and from the page title. Note this is for one license only and is in addition to the cost of the license.

Also please note that you must retain all copyright notices within the actual product programming code (these notices do not affect any visible vBulletin pages). Note also this does not allow you to rebrand the software with another name. It only allows you to remove the Jelsoft/vBulletin copyright information.

The vBulletin branding-free license concerns the removal of visual branding. The branding-free package available from the members' area does not remove comments or variable names within the program code that mention vBulletin.

You may change the logo without purchasing this option.

For complete information, please read the vBulletin license agreement. If you require any further information please contact our sales team.
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...
                      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

So its just the copyright text that must remain untouched? The "Powered by" lines don't really reference anything about the copyright information.

So, a recap would be

"Powered by..." may be edited without a "branding free" license
                        and
                        "Copyright ..." may be removed (not edited) with the use of the "branding free" license

Right?

Comment

At a minimum the copyright must read:

vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

how to remove it ?
                            anyone can teach me step by step
                            thanks

Comment

you Can't Not Remove