Forum Upgrades, Blogging & Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Upgrades, Blogging & Support

Okay. I finally 'gave up' and upgraded to 3.8.1 yesterday. I had been reluctant to do that because it dinked with the social groups and I was waiting for that issue to get fixed in the next release before upgrading. But I finally gave up yesterday because the support license for one of my sites was due to expire at midnight last night. So, I decided to capitulate and upgrade to 3.8.1 anyway BEFORE the support agreement expired.

I finished the upgrade shortly before midnight in our time zone and went to bed exhausted. I came back this morning to fix the two dozen minor template issues that remained after the 'upgrade' and discovered Jelsoft released 3.8.2 last night!

Argggghhhh!

So, now I have a strategic upgrade question... I've been watching and waiting for the construction dust to settle around v3.8.x a bit more before licensing and installing the blogging software on this site anyway. But somewhere it seems to me I saw if we license and install the blogging software our support agreement for both the forums and the blog is automatically extended for another full year.

Is that true? In other words, does this turn out to be the ideal moment for me to install the blogging upgrade and thus extend the support for both the forums and blogging on this site and save my client a few bucks?

I know I'm being a bit cheap here. But let's face it. There wasn't much incentive for me to install 3.8.1 and cripple the Social Groups features when I knew the next release would fix the issues. In hindsight I'm now questioning my sanity in deciding to install the so-called 3.8.1 upgrade last night at all.

It wasn't my intent to be "unsupported" for long. But now that I'm faced with the need to renew support anyway, it makes sense to do it as inexpensively as possible.

Thanks!

With an owned license (and any official add-ons) you can run the software forever - that doesn't end. The listed expiration is for your access to the download new versions from the Members Area. You get one year of free upgrades with your license.

After this you can renew access to new versions for $40 if done within 60 days of the 'expiry' date or $60 if done after. However, this is optional and you are allowed to continue running your current version for as long as you like.

You will continue to have download access for any versions released while your license was active. You also continue to receive support for versions released while your license was active.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Wayne. As a five-year user of vBulletin, I was well aware of most of that and have kept my support agreements basically current on two sites for years..

But you didn't answer my question about extension of the the support agreement on vBulletin if I license the Blogging software at this point. If licensing the Blog add-on will extend my support on both the forums and the blog products for 12 months, then that's what I'm inclined to do and I'll do it today now that 3.8.2 is finally out.

My point is if I can upgrade by adding the blog software now and save a few sheckles in the process, that makes sense to me... especially when I've got another site where I'm also planning to add the blog as well. It's not like I'm going to need tons of extra support when I add blogging to the second licensed site; but I'll still be paying for that support anyway. As you know, you guys don't offer support discount to those of us who license multiple copies of your software.

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply.

Comment

The Blog does not extend support. You get support regardless.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So, Steve, I gather you're telling me that even if I'd bought the blogging add-on yesterday at noon support for it would have expired at midnight last night because that's when support for the forums software was set to expire. Is that the deal?

Frankly, in this economy, that makes the free installation of WordPress seem far more appealing. With money tight everywhere, spending $100 to extend support and buy the blogging software seems quite pricey. If that's the best you can do, I'll ask my client if they're prepared to spend that money now. But I won't be surprised if their answer is, "Hell, No!"

Thanks for all you do.

Comment

No, I didn't say that at all. I said:

The Blog does not extend support. You get support regardless.
            I'm not sure what the confusion is. What part of 'You get support regardless'' was not clear?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

You know, it's a bit maddening to see you guys dodge around and avoid answering a direct question several times when my original question and statement of assumptions were straight-forward and clear. I'm not at all sure I see the point to that unless you're deliberately trying to avoid answering my question.

Let's try this again, shall we?

I will grant that one part of the support provided for your product is what you do here in your forums. But it's clear that another part of the support you do is what happens when you release patches and updates and problem fixes in the form of new versions of the software.

Let's be real here. Your fully supported product needs to include both types of support not just one. Furthermore, having one-sided "support" is quite often useless. If a licensee's download support expired last night (as I said in my first post happened in this case) then you can "support" them all you like here in the forums but if they NEED a patch that was in this morning's release to fix a problem they're having with a patch installed last night (BEFORE their download support expired) then they're basically SOL. Isn't that the deal?

What you seem to be trying to avoid saying here, Steve, is that the only option for my client now is to extend their download rights for another year for $40 and then cough up yet another $60 if they want your blogging add-on too.

I don't understand why can't you just SAY that and be done with it rather than dancing around the edges of the head of a pin and playing with nuances of what you mean by "support" as if it was as evanescent as a bullfighter's cape. There's no point to that unless the GOAL is confuse the client.

The way it looks, this client now has a choice between paying YOU $100 to extend download support and get your blogging software or spending $0 for WordPress and keeping $100 in their bank. Isn't that in fact the deal here?

I don't mean to ***** at you, Steve. I know you're only doing your job. I should explain that knowing money for this client was very tight, I've held onto $60 in a private kitty for weeks planning to buy the blogging software add-on and extend their download support the day after download support expired. But instead of being able to do what I'd planned today, I learned the upgrade price is now $100 - not $60. Frankly, that puts it out of their reach because in the current economy they were reluctant to even spend $40 on the web now. If I'd known yesterday what I know now, I'd have bought the blogging software yesterday. I actually HAD the money set aside for that purchase! Sigh...
              Last edited by websissy; Tue 31st Mar '09, 3:03pm.

Comment

Originally posted by websissy View Post
                What you seem to be trying to avoid saying here, Steve, is that the only option for my client now is to extend their download rights for another year for $40 and then cough up yet another $60 if they want your blogging add-on too
                Actually I'm not avoiding anything. Your question is quite confusing.

The Blog purchase is a one time cost. And yes, it's an add-on product and it costs $60. So if you are asking if the Blog is free, the answer is 'No'.

Note: The Blog does not need to be renewed. It will automatically be renewed when the license is renewed. You pay for it one time only.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I never suggested your blogging add-on was free. I never HINTED I thought it was free.

There's nothing confusing about the plain english sentence you quoted straight from my last post, Steve:

Originally posted by websissy
                  ...the only option for my client now is to extend their download rights for another year for $40 and then cough up yet another $60 if they want your blogging add-on...
                  The way I do arithmetic, that makes the total cost to get your blogging software for this client now, $100.

Is that correct? Yes or no?

Comment

No.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

LOL. Okay. Then what the heck is the price, Steve?

Comment

I already answered that. The price for the Blog is $60. Not sure why there is any confusion.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm not confused, Steve. But apparently you are. I tried to buy blogging earlier today. Your site refused to sell Blogging to me at ANY price unless I FIRST buy the $40 download service extension. $40 + $60 = $100 Or do YOU know something I don't here?

Comment

Actually before answering I tried this earlier today on an expired owned license and it did work. I am not confused and I am not making this up.

I really don't have anything more to add. It's clear that no matter what I say it is not sufficient for you. There is nothing more I can do.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

OK. You're telling me it worked for you; but I'm saying that when I tried it on this license earlier in the day it had completely masked out the blogging software and wouldn't let me even check the box to TRY to buy it. I'll go back and try again. Perhaps I did something wrong here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X