Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auto assign usergroups at registration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Auto assign usergroups at registration

    I run a university forum, and I wanted to know if I can categorize my users, students & faculty usergroups based on the selections made during registration.

    They should be automatically assigned to a specified usergroup ( for example, students, faculty etc.) based on their selection in the registration form. I added a custom profile fields on the registration form for selecting the options if either they are students or faculty.

    I want this because I will have a a separate faculty only section which only they can access. Ofcourse i will have them confirmed by other means.

    I hope you get the idea. How can i do this?

    Thanks
    Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
    Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

  • #2
    Try this
    Add User to Primary Usergroup Based on Value of Custom Profile Field
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82992
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for that...its a old mod though...is there any for the latest version?
      Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
      Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by amjadz4 View Post
        thanks for that...its a old mod though...is there any for the latest version?
        It works with 3.8.1.
        I've been using it for sometime.

        I found spammers usually enter the same text in the profile field.
        This way they are sent straight to the banned usergroup.
        ...steven
        www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
        bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
        "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

        Comment


        • #5
          yeah! u are right..it works fine!

          how did you manage to find that spammers enter the same... it could be a user too...
          Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
          Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by amjadz4 View Post
            yeah! u are right..it works fine!

            how did you manage to find that spammers enter the same... it could be a user too...
            On one forum they normally enter 1 in location.
            In another they enter 1980 as first name.

            That mod is sweet!
            The beauty is its simplicity.
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
              On one forum they normally enter 1 in location.
              In another they enter 1980 as first name.

              That mod is sweet!
              The beauty is its simplicity.
              On one of my forums, they almost always enter "1" in one of the custom profile fields.
              Regards,
              Nick

              Comment


              • #8
                Ok...i think I am having a bit of a problem with the mod. it doesnt assign the group to the user at all!

                Just wanted to ask, where did you place the hook?
                Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
                Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by amjadz4 View Post
                  Ok...i think I am having a bit of a problem with the mod. it doesnt assign the group to the user at all!

                  Just wanted to ask, where did you place the hook?
                  It installed automatically.

                  'register_activate_process'
                  You need to edit the profile field in 2 places.
                  ...steven
                  www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                  bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                  "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
                    It installed automatically.

                    'register_activate_process'
                    You need to edit the profile field in 2 places.
                    oops you are right! i didnt see the first field5!

                    Thanks again! works like a charm.

                    One question though..will it work if i place the hook before activate..like for example..on addmember?
                    Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
                    Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by amjadz4 View Post
                      One question though..will it work if i place the hook before activate..like for example..on addmember?
                      Don't know. You might want to contact amykhar in the thread on vB.org.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I did he isnt replying back though...anyways...thanks again.
                        Vote for the development of vBulletin - WordPress Integration Plugin
                        Come on people, lets get this plugin made! Put 3 votes! :up:

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X