Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Permission complications; seem to be inconsistent (on my board)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission complications; seem to be inconsistent (on my board)

Hi all,

I have a fairly established board and one of the things I have recently been looking at is the forum structure and permissions.

Using a member with default membership permissions I noticed that things were not as I expected them. I posted in member service asking members to report what they could see in two forums in which I had specific permissions set - I got varied responses confirming and refuting the experience of my test user.

Here is a simple example.

I have a forum called "Official Event Announcements", the idea is that members of the Official Event Organisers Group can post here, but general membership can only read and vote on polls to prevent "discussion" in that area. All discussion about the events goes in a shadow thread in Club Scene. Right; well I find that some "Validated Registered Members" (my promotion primary group after a user has signed on and proved they are not spammers by having 5 posts moderated) see 18 even announcements, some only one or two, and my test user sees only the most recently created one at any time...

These are not threads created as "announcements" as such - merely threads created by the approved event organiser in the appropriate forum.

I think that these kind of permission issues exist across various forums and don't know the best way to "reset" and validate the permission structure. Especially since I have hidden forums and don't want to expose moderator or admin areas by just resetting all the permissions in one swoop.

Should I turn off the board and do a complete rebuild? If so what must I do to ensure that the permissions are clean and working - ie is there a checking proceedure or something I could run - I notice no such thing in the admin cp...

I hope I have made this clear enough. I am continuing to search on this topic here and on .org as I post this.

Best Regards,
    Will

Maybe the posts are moderated:

Admin CP -> Moderation

Only admins and mods can see moderated posts.

Otherwise check your permissions:

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Permissions

Comment

Thank you Jake - I have checked the moderation queues and there are none applied.

As for the forum permissions - that is where I have been applying the settings I want for the various outcomes.

When I check in Forums & Moderators -> View Permissions and check what should be in place I find that it is fine:
      • Validated Registered Users / Official Event Announcements Can View Forum Yes
      • Can View Thread Content Yes
      • Can View Others' Threads Yes
      • Can Search Forum Yes
      • Can Use Email to Friend Yes
      • Can Post Threads No
      • Can Reply to Own Threads No
      • Can Reply to Others' Threads No
      • Can Edit Own Posts No
      • Can Delete Own Posts No
      • Can Delete Own Threads No
      • Can Open / Close Own Threads No
      • Can Move Own Threads No
      • Can View Attachments Yes
      • Can Post Attachments No
      • Can Post Polls No
      • Can Vote on Polls Yes
      • Can Rate Threads No
      • Follow Forum Moderation Rules If no, posts are always placed into moderation queue No
      • Can See Deletion Notices Yes
      • Can Tag Own Threads No
      • Can Tag Others' Threads No
      • Can Delete Tags on Own Threads No
      • Can See Thumbnails Yes

And yet for some reason people in the validated member group can not see all the posts!

Comment

Are they secondary groups? In order for secondary group memberships to have any effect on permissions, the primary group(s) in question must have this option enabled:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Allow Users to have Member Groups

If this option is not enabled for the primary group(s) in question, then secondary groups will have no effect on permissions.

Comment

Absolutely - all the secondary member groups have allow Users to have Member Groups enabled.

Comment

That has to be enabled for the Primary Group as well.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The primary group which is the main promotion once moderators have determined they are not spammers after three posts does have allow user groups enabled.

I think I may have to go back to scratch with the permissions on the board.

Comment

I am having the exact same issue on my board.

Primary group is moderation - everything they post. However in some forums they can post, and not be moderated - not at all what i'm wanting. permissions to the usergroup state that they are on moderation.

How can i fix this, or change the user - since the usergroup doesn't work and make the user completely moderated.
                http://www.mummybrain.org.nz

Comment

Please start your own thread with all the relevant details. Thank you.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Rizzo, you'll get better support by starting your own thread. When you do, confirm that the suggestions made have already been followed (link to this thread by all means).
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...
                    - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      Please start your own thread with all the relevant details. Thank you.
                      Must work on my speed typing...
                      Vote for:

-

Comment

Didn't you hear? Everything I do is 'copy-n-paste'. Absolutely everything. I know because I read it on these forums.

Didn't you hear? Everything I do is 'copy-n-paste'. Absolutely everything. I know because I read it on these forums.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm blaming the anaesthetic that's wearing off from an op this afternoon...

(Just the once tho... )
                          Vote for:

-

Comment

THank you, i have started my own thread now.
                            http://www.mummybrain.org.nz

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X