Odd problem with user promotion and scheduled tasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd problem with user promotion and scheduled tasks

I have an odd problem with one user promotion I have set up. I have several user promotions set up that promote users to an additional user group after N posts, which gives them more and more privileges as they participate more.

I now have a newer user promotion that promotes users to a Posters additional group when they reach 1 post. This is used to help weed out spammers. Registered users are all moderated to prevent spam from polluting the forum, and only after they have demonstrated that they are not spammers are they allowed to post unmoderated (once they are promoted to the Posters group).

The problem is that the user promotion that adds the Posters group to their profile will not work as a scheduled task. When I click Run Now for the user promotions task, it works and promotes all those who have had their first post approved from moderation. However, when the user promotions scheduled task runs, those who have had their first post approved via the moderation admin area are not promoted.

It's a pain in the butt to have to manually run that scheduled task every time I approve an initial post by a new user. Can we get this added to the list of bugs to fix? The problem is that the user promotions scheduled task seems to execute this promotion differently when run as a scheduled task (cron) vs. when it is executed via the Run Now command in the admin tool.

(I'm running 3.8.1 PL1)

The task only promotes users who have been active since the last time the task was run. That is why.

Comment

Thanks. I modified the code to look at users who have been active within the past 2 days since the last time the task was run. That should allow for the slowest moderation of initial posts we may encounter.

Any solutions to this problem you all could come up with in the base code without my having to customize every update I put in would be greatly appreciated. I understand why you've got the code the way it is, but I hope you can appreciate that it also causes a problem in the case I presented.

Comment

Update Promotions

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
        The task only promotes users who have been active since the last time the task was run. That is why.
        Hello,

I understand that the promotion only takes place from one usergroup to the next if the promotion criteria is met by the user and the user has been active since the last time the promotion scheduled task has ran.

However is there a way to update the promotion without the user being active since the last time that the promotion scheduled task has run if the user has still met all the other promotion criteria?

Thank You.

Comment

That requires modifying the code. You can post on www.vbulletin.org for help with this.

Comment

How can we update a usergroup base on the latest/current promotion criteria?

Comment

Promotions are handled by a scheduled task:

Admin CP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Scheduled Task Manager -> User Promotions

By default promotions run every hour. If you are testing your setup, then you can manually run these tasks to see that the appropriate changes are being made.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X