Unread posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unread posts

I'm not sure how something should work: is the "go to first new post" flag kept for each and every post, or is it a marker within the thread, set to the last read post?

In other words, I have a 500 page long thread ("the longest thread ever" - basically a logged chat, over 10,000 posts long). If I haven't looked at it in months (let's say I last read page 200), and I open page 400, would every message from page 200 to 400 also be marked read? Or will the button jump me to page 201, and eventually skip page 400?

(Not that I have any intention of actually reading that thread; they can plot their insurrection in private!)

thanks,

-jk

If you are using the database read marking system then viewing page 400 will not automatically mark page 200 as read. Those older posts will still be unread as will the thread.

Comment

Thanks. I just realized I posted this in v3.8 rather than v3.7 (we are about to upgrade). Did the behavior change with this upgrade (or should I repost in 3.7)?

I'm definitely seeing it act like a one-way marker, being reset to the last post viewed and regardless of any skipped pages, at least in how the "forums/images/buttons/firstnew.gif" button is displayed and linked in the browser.

regards,

-jk

Comment

The read marking behavior hasn't changed between 3.7 and 3.8.

It looks like I'm wrong. I just tested it. The read marker is turned off if you jump to the page beyond where the first unread post is.

Comment

OK, then it's not just me: it does behave like a marker, being set to the last read message. But it's not turned off. If I jump to page 400, it'll take to page 401 next time.

thanks,

-jk

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X