Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attachments not showing as thumbnails

not quite as easy as the title

had a board on 3.5 images showed as thumbnails - server was hacked and an old backup was used

after that images would not show as thumbnails just a link

tried to update counters for the thumbnails but got an error message that it could not determine the image size - or something like that - so put up with the problem

have now updated the board to 3.8 - may have done it wrongly [well not the recomended way] but wanted to get rid of anything that was left from the server problems

so installed 3.8 and used impex to move the database stuff

ran the update counter again on attachments to create thumbnails and got no errors but they still show as links

newly uploaded picture on the 3.8 install show perfectly - am i missing something or is this just a carry over from the old board

Check to see that "display thumbnails" is set to yes for each forum in "forum permissions".

I had that once and it confused the heck out of me!

Comment

thanks for the reply - have looked and cannot find the setting you refer to - am on 3.8 - not sure if its moved or i am looking in the wrong place

Comment

It's under Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions . The actual option is "Can See Thumbnails" I'd check that same permission under usergroup permissions first.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

thanks - as far as i can see all is set correctly

just to say again this is an upgrade/import/merge of 2 boards - the old board had this problem - it started after a server crash

attachments brought over from the old board show as links - new attachments posted after the update show as thumbnails

i have run update couters for attachments that has not helped

Comment

I would compare the page source for the thumbnail on a working one versus a non-working one and see what the difference is. Is it looking for it in the wrong location perhaps?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

thanks lynne - can you put that with a bit more detail - it is late and it does not make perfect sense to this addled brain

is that what you mean

first is a linked file, second is a thumbnail

first is from old board, second was uploaded today onto new baoard after update
              Last edited by tony adams; Sat 31st Jan '09, 3:13pm.

Comment

I'm wondering what the whole line looks like in the page source, not just what it is linking to. I mean, is there an image tag with a url in the page source for the non-working image and since the image link doesn't work, you are getting the alt tag? Take a look at the full area where the link is called out in the page source. And, then look at the template and see if there is a condition wrapped around it that spits out one format if xx and another format if yy and figure out why xx is happening other than yy. I'm a big believer that the page source very often holds the clue.

Comment

well - i do not believe this - i have imported the attachments half a doden times and each time run the Rebuild Attachment Thumbnails update counter - each time it seemed to work - there were no errors - each time it did nothing

i have just run it again without importing the attachments and i now have thumbnails for all the pictures

i have no idea - but thanks for the help lynne

Comment

Glad you got it working!

Comment

in truth lynne i did nothing different to what i have done half a dozen times today - something changed obviously

these things are sent to try us - especially when i have no great idea what i am doing except going from a to b

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X