Database error! Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database error! Please help

I had vBulletin v3.7.4 installed and uploaded v3.8.1.
    I then ran the uprade.php file and received the following error message;

Database error in vBulletin :
    mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    /home/webwolf/DomainName/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 311
    MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Friday, January 30th 2009 @ 03:32:51 PM
    Error Date : Friday, January 30th 2009 @ 03:32:51 PM
    Script : http://www.DomainName.com/forum/install/upgrade.php
    Referrer :
    IP Address : 155.239.227.254
    Username :
    Classname : vB_Database
    MySQL Version :
    Please help!

It means that something in config.php is wrong. Did you put the edited one on?

Comment

Hmm, I'm getting the same email. I've got tonnes of them :@

Comment

Originally posted by Lightey View Post
        It means that something in config.php is wrong. Did you put the edited one on?
        Thanks for your message!
        What do you mean "the edited one"?

Comment

Assuming the db info in your config.php file is correct, this is a server issue. Please see this page for the causes of this error:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cantconnect
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            Assuming the db info in your config.php file is correct, this is a server issue. Please see this page for the causes of this error:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cantconnect
            I did not make any alterations to the config.php file as the upgrade directions mentions nothing of this. I suggest that you add this escpecilaly for newbies like me;

Close your board via the Admin Control Panel.
            Upload all files from the 'upload/' folder in the zip, with the exception of 'install/install.php'. Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor. ???????????

Open your browser and point the URL to http://www.example.com/forum/install/upgrade.php (where www.example.com/forums/ is the URL of your vBulletin). You should now be automatically forwarded to the appropriate upgrade script and step.
            I did open the config.php in Notepad and thought that there will be further instuctions.
            Must I type in all the server and database info, save the config.php file, upload and then run the upgrade.php again?

Comment

Then this is a server issue and you need to contact your host.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                Then this is a server issue and you need to contact your host.
                Was I suppose to make any changes to the config.php file before uploading it? Is so, what?

Comment

No changes were needed and as you said you made none. Therefore that error is a server issue.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

We are still encountering the same problems!
                    I contacted my hosting company and this is what they say;

"I just checked and the server is operating normally. As the script author they will need to provide specific information on why they feel the server is the issue."

I have also read the link provided above and I am completely out of my depth searching and fixing possible errors or mistakes.

Question:
                    Will it work if I install 3.8.1 with a new database in another directory and then import certain tables of the old 3.7.4 SQL database into the new 3.8.1 SQL database?

Comment

The erorr message is saying that VB can not talk to the MySQL database. So you need to check your config.php file in the sections relating to the database and conenctions (ID, PW, localhost, etc.).

When upgrading there should be no need to edit your config.php file and when you copy the new files up the included config.php file is named differently so you cant/forget not to over write the file.

You need to upload the /install folder when upgrading and you should ALWAYS close your board while preforming the upgrade.

When installing you need to run:
                      http://www.YourDomain.com/LocationOf...ll/upgrade.php

Once done you will receive an eror message that the install folder still exists. Just delete the entire folder, relogin to your ACP and open your forums.

Comment

I am getting the same error. I checked my old config file and the new one, and I am seeing everything is the same. Where could my problem be?

Database error in vBulletin :
                        mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
                        /home/kyoung/public_html/includes/class_core.php on line 311
                        MySQL Error :
                        Error Number :
                        Request Date : Thursday, February 5th 2009 @ 02:03:07 PM
                        Error Date : Thursday, February 5th 2009 @ 02:03:07 PM
                        Script : http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/install/upgrade.php
                        Referrer :
                        IP Address : 65.42.106.146
                        Username :
                        Classname : vB_Database
                        MySQL Version :

If the config file is the same as the one on the site, why rename it and add it then?

Comment

Note: You have not edited the config.php file with the info for your db and db user.

Please start your own thread with all the relevant details. Thank you.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I found the problem!!!
                            vBulletin's Upgrade instructions are incorrect!

"Then open the 'upload/includes/' folder. In this you will find config.php.new. You should rename this to config.php and then open it in a text editor.

This is totally incorrect! The config.php.new file name must not be changed to config.php. It must be uploaded to the server as is.

More than one week wasted!!!!

Comment

Where do you see that? That looks like it's from the install instructions. I can't find that in the actual upgrade instructions:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade/

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X