Strange happenings when new users join and automatic email to admin is sent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange happenings when new users join and automatic email to admin is sent

Everything has been running just fine when new users join it sends me a email with the normal info and from the normal address.

Until recently ..

The email address that the email is being sent from is fine [email protected] but the name is incorrect

Normally the email would be Firstname: Admin Surname: My Site name but now all of a suddenly that has been replaced by a single "_" and I've noticed also the referrer is also a "_" but when I look at the users account under referrer it is blank!!

So for example:

from _ <[email protected]>

There is a new user, blahtestlbah at <My SITE>

To view their profile, go here:

http://www.mydomain.com/forum/members/blahtestlbah.html

Email Address : [email protected]
    Birthday :
    Referrer: _
    IP Address: 212.248.XXX.XX

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

That uses the forum name:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum Name

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      That uses the forum name:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Site Name / URL / Contact Details -> Forum Name

Hmm, I think I've probably confused everyone

My main problem is that the from when I receive the email notification is from "_" and the referrer is always "_" also I assume has nothing to do with the above as all the entries are correct and no "_" is there.

It was also working fine before upgrading to 3.8

Comment

Ah I see what you mean and yes the info in forum name is all correct but the name is still "_"

I have just been looking at my email and I think I might have something this all started after a user joined with a "_" in their username!

Comment

Just to add to the confusion:

I have received some reported post warnings via email today and the from section was 100% correct and no "_" so it's only when new users sign up!

Comment

Seems you're not the only one...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297530

Where there's smoke there's fire. Looks like a bug. Not exactly a critical one though.

Comment

any official response to this?

Thanks for pointing that out Zenith!

Comment

I have seen other users report this same problem. I have already thoroughly tested this on my test forum and I cannot reproduce it. The emails definitely use the forum name setting. Maybe you have an addon that is causing this problem.

Comment

After extensive testing I can confirm the problem was caused by vB Optimise here: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=199207

Thanks to everyone for the help/input.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X