Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dealing with profile comment spam/trolls...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dealing with profile comment spam/trolls...

ok.. We've been successful is "beating" most spam bots and trolls within the forums itself. banning, tachy and add-ons for setting minimum posts, url checks and "miserable user" settings...

but anyone have suggestions for dealing with PROFILE comment spam or trolls?

- its not a bot, its a troll of a person.
    - they sign up (new id) and them spam up profiles.

soooo....

Questinos:
    • anyway to delete all comments from a single user?
    • anyway to prevent a new user from being able to post profile comments (eg: before a certain number of posts?)
    • anyway to prevent url posting in profiles? (eg: before a certain number of posts?)

Bascially, ANY SUGGESTIONS for dealing with forum troll who registering and profile spamming?

You can delete all Visitor Messages Sent by a user from the dropdown menu of their profile in AdminCP.

Or you can disable Visitor Message Permissions in the usergroup settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Zingu View Post
      ok.. We've been successful is "beating" most spam bots and trolls within the forums itself. banning, tachy and add-ons for setting minimum posts, url checks and "miserable user" settings...

but anyone have suggestions for dealing with PROFILE comment spam or trolls?

- its not a bot, its a troll of a person.
      - they sign up (new id) and them spam up profiles.

soooo....

Questinos:
      • anyway to delete all comments from a single user?
      • anyway to prevent a new user from being able to post profile comments (eg: before a certain number of posts?)
      • anyway to prevent url posting in profiles? (eg: before a certain number of posts?)
      Bascially, ANY SUGGESTIONS for dealing with forum troll who registering and profile spamming?
      Yes there is. Delete all their posts as spam and ban them forever. Also manually approve all accounts. That stops the trolls from turning up.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Zingu View Post
        On my board, I have had no problems with spam bots so far.

The steps I have taken:
        - Captcha at registration
        - a mod that lets me define a special question during registration (can't remember it's name)
        - another mod that checks the registration time. This one proved to be very useful. I believe I have about 50 bots a day who register on my forum in under 2 seconds. I believe those spammers are gathering accounts to use them later for a spam flood.

As for profile spam...
        The users of my forum have the ability to delete comments on their profiles.
        So if they don't like something, they can delete it.

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by flashgordon View Post
            - another mod that checks the registration time. This one proved to be very useful. I believe I have about 50 bots a day who register on my forum in under 2 seconds.
            and others here think doing so would be countered in days... i don't agree and still think it's a good OPTION. you know, there will probably be many spammers that may never use that option when autobot software has an option to "wait" before submitting the registration page. just like other users some of them are noobs or just unaware.... other forum software has it. it's like a 5 minute job for the vb team.

Comment

I use isbot (registration time check).

to be clear, I'm not really talking about bots here (ie: auto regisrtation scripts)... I'm talking about a real human who just wants to cause problems. so of course he gets past all the bot checkers. .... he's not a bot. just a jerk. heh.

is there a good way to prevent him (real person) from posting comments in profiles right after sign-up? like minimum posts befoe posting comments? I couldn't find an add-on for that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X