Help updating new templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help updating new templates

I'm not even sure what to do with things like this. I have a custom header, and if I revert this template, I'm not sure how I can set the url of my banner. (which is not the url of the index page) But I have no idea what the new code is, or how I'm going to incorporate my differences into the new templates. Mind if a open a help thread for this? For instance, what would I do here? I realize that many new features will not be available, unless I get all the new code into these templates. At the same time, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and lose the things I have modified.
    Attached Files
    The Grey Area - Tweaking Obsession

Manually updating custom templates can be very tedious, and it requires some coding ability. You can usually ignore template warnings unless you are experiencing style problems.

Comment

Well, I know that the all the new features added since 3.6.5 aren't going to show up unless I add a lot of this code. So far, the only things I really notice are:

New Human Verification methods
      Social Bookmarking and groups
      Picture Album
      Visitor Messages
      New looking profiles
      and maybe a few other things in the CP

I'd like for all of the new features to work, but I may need some help determining how to incorporate the new code without screwing up my navbar, display, etc.

Comment

We can't help you to integrate the new features into your custom templates. But we can help you to identify relevant templates if you are having any specific style problems.

Comment

That's not very helpful. I mean, I need to get my navbar updated and stuff, at the very least. These aren't hacks. They're just regular template mods.

Comment

And we cannot provide support for your custom mods. The truth is that there are far too many changes from vB 3.6.5 to 3.8.0. As Jake said this is going to need to be done manually and it will be very tedious.

If thiese are styles you got from somewhere else, then you should contact the author to see if he or she has updates.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

No, it's just my originial style based on the original vB template. It's nothing really that custom, beyond adding links to my navbar and stuff, which will disappear if I revert some of these.

Comment

Lightbox does not work either. Come on! I paid for support and I have a lifetime license. Do you expect everyone to use vBulletin just as it is here, with absolutely no customizations? That's a bit ridiculous. Are there supposed to be blogs, too? Or is that just something you have here? I don't see anything about blogs.

I just found something useful! Why didn't someone tell me there is a "Add Template Name in HTML Comments" option?! I've been trying to guess which templates I've been trying to find all day. It's the little things like this that can really help. I never saw that before. It sure will save me a ton of guesses from now on.
                Last edited by SloppyGoat; Tue 20 Jan '09, 6:35pm.

Comment

First, we didn't tell you about that option for the same reason we didn't mention the 'Relative Jumps for Page Navigator' option - because it did not seem relevant. You already knew which templates you had customized and needed to edit.

As for it 'not really being that custom' then this should be an easy fix for you. Revert the custom templates and redo your changes admittedly simple changes.

As for 'lifetime support' we do not provide official support for customizations. We help when we can but what you are asking us to do for you is both unclear and beyond the scope of official support. Berating us for not fixing your customizations for you is unproductive.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I'm mainly talking about my other threads here, where I was practically begging for someone to help me figure out which templates some things are in. Instead of using that feature to find out which templates I was dealing with, I spent most of the day guessing and changing random things until I found them. That could've saved me so much time and effort.

You just seem to be full of more excuses these days, than helpful. All I'm asking is that you help me merge my templates with the new ones, on the parts where I really am not sure what to do. The code is not all that different, and I can figure out most of it, but there are some large portions that I have no idea where my code would fit in to keep all my links and other things intact. I don't think that's a huge request, myself.

You always said you don't provide support for hacks. Well, template modifications are not hacks.

Comment

And I never said we provide official support for customizations. Quite the opposite actually. Try reading my previous responses.

We have now answered this for you several times in a clear and concise way. We also have told you what you need to do. Revert your templates and re-add your changes. After all you have already said these changes are 'not really being that custom'. If that is true then this should be simple.

However if it's not true, then you will need to ask for further help as www.vbulletin.org.

I hope that is clear now.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Yeah, but I'm not a coder and I have no idea where some of this code should go, or whether it should go in them at all! Thanks for nothing, once again, Steve. Do you have to try to be that unhelpful, or does it just come naturally? Perhaps you really just don't know much about this either? I want a refund for my last payment for support. Do you think I pay just for the freaking download? I can get those illegally, if I want...and yes, it still would be 100% legal, since I do own a license.

I look at these and have little to no idea what I'm looking at. The devs can easily look at the code and tell what it means and what it does, because they know PHP and CSS. Please allow a dev to reply to my threads from now on, unless you have some truly useful input. As "Customer Support Manager" you're still no dev, and still not very capable of helping people, IMO.
                        Last edited by SloppyGoat; Wed 21 Jan '09, 7:37am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X