Spammers on VB - Your Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spammers on VB - Your Thoughts

I'm new to VB and I purchased this product to reduce or prevent robots or spammers from subscribing to my forums. In review of my new listings, I still see new members signing on listing URL's in the signature file field and the Hompage field.

To help reduce the spammers, I've done the following:
    - Turned off the signature field
    - Turned on the Human Verifcation requirement
    - Turned on email verification

With the above tasked performed, I still see new members add data to the homepage field. But I'm also noticing some haven't approved there email verification.

Questions:
    - Should I even worry about a subsciber who hasn't approved email verifcation who submitted a url to be spidered?
    - Should I or how do I removed the field to pervent any homepage listing.
    - Why do they do this?
    - Should I revise the new member subscription page stating the "Members Directory is banned from robot Spiders"

Basically, I hate these attacks to give domains more visiblity by using our boards.

Please advise.

There seems to be a spam campaign going on recently. Lots of forums are getting hit. The ideal is to stop the spam bots from even registering. You can use one of the human verification options:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Human Verification Manager (on the left, not the right)

The Q&A option can be very effective. Note that the "image verification" option isn't very effective anymore since some bots are programmed to read those images.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X