"Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in...."

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/****/public_html/forums/inlinemod.php on line 4890
    I'm getting this error message today as well (saw it for the first time yesterday, after the 3.8 update) when trying to move some posts from one thread to a new (not yet existing) thread... in other words, when I try to create a new thread out of some selected messages.

I'm getting it after having done all the things described here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296398
    Last edited by The Vegan Forum; Tue 13 Jan '09, 2:54am. Reason: added missing detail
    The Vegan Forum

Try adding this line to your includes/config.php file to increase the execution timeout to 120 seconds:

Code:
    ini_set('max_execution_time', 120);

Comment

Thanks,
      I already tried this - and I got a similar fatal error message instead, where "30" was replaced by "120".

The same thing also happened as a result of not being able to execute the command within the time limit: I had to go to Maintenance>Update Counters>Rebuild Thread Information to make the threads appear properly.

Why does such operations seem to take much longer time in 3.8, why didn't we see that fatal error message before 3.8 (even if an operation took very long), and why do we know (unlike pre 3.8) have to manually use Rebuild Thread Information to make things look right?
      The Vegan Forum

Comment

Then unfortunately 120 is not enough for that operation. I've never run into this myself and I move a lot of posts. My guess is this server is not optimized. At any rate increase that amount until you no longer get that error.

Then if this is a dedicated server, please see this thread for help with optimizing your server:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=70117

Then post the requested info in a new thread in that forum.

Also please note that we do this as a courtesy but optimizing servers is not really a part of vBulletin support.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post

Also please note that we do this as a courtesy but optimizing servers is not really a part of vBulletin support.
          Sure, but isn't it at least interesting that this problem occurred when we did the 3.8 update? We didn't have these problems the 5 years we used vB before the 3.8 update, so it seem very likely that this has to do with the new version...
          The Vegan Forum

Comment

I have no idea why you are having that problem. I am runing 3.8.0 and do this a lot, and never get this error. Sorry I don't have more insight.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

How many posts are you moving?

This is line 4890:

Code:
              				// we continue as long as we find posts that were not moved
              				while (!isset($postarray["$new_parentid"]) AND $new_parentid != 0)
              				{
              					$new_parentid = $parentposts["$new_parentid"];
              				}
              Apparently you are stuck in this "while" loop. I suspect there may be a problem with the parentids of posts in that thread. Maybe there is an infinite loop of parent / child associations between some posts. I have actually seen this problem once before.

This will require some special debugging to diagnose and fix. We can take a look if you submit a trouble ticket with your forum and server login info:

http://members.vbulletin.com/members...ontactform.php

We will also need instructions to reproduce the error.

Comment

THanks,
                I already have a ticket active:

[SID-885650-<removed>] Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/*******/public_html/forums/inlinemo - vBulletin Issue

I may be moving eg. 100 posts.

I have upped the time limit from 30 to 120 to 240 seconds now, and haven't seen the error message after that, but unlike the rest of the forum, which may seem a bit faster, I guess this process (moving threads etc) shouldn't slow down after the 3.8 upgrade - plus, it shouldn't fail to upgrade thread info after the process... (and it shouldn't take 2-4 minutes to move some posts)...

We will also need instructions to reproduce the error.
                Set the limit down to where it was, and try to move some posts from one thread to another should do the trick. Shall I mentioned this in the ticket correspondence as well?

We had a little poll about speed after the update, and most people seems to think that the forum now is a bit faster (or hasn't changed) - nobody (except one?) thin that it's slower, which is why the maximum-execution-time-exceeded (after the update) sees very mysterious.

Here's our server info:

Server Type Linux
                Data Usage 496.08 MB
                Web Server Apache v1.3.41 (cgi)
                Index Usage 165.73 MB
                PHP 5.2.6 Attachment Usage 2.99 MB
                PHP Max Post Size 10.00 MB
                PHP Maximum Upload Size 10.00 MB
                Profile Picture Usage 10.44 MB
                PHP Memory Limit 128.00 MB
                Unique Members Today 145
                MySQL Version 5.0.51a-community
                MySQL Packet Size 1.00 MB
                The Vegan Forum

Comment

It is unusual that the process would take that long, but if you finally increased the timeout to a point where the process is able to complete then the problem is fixed.

Comment

But why did we now have tis error message during the last years, only to see that it started immediately after the 3.8 update... and why didn't the thread info get corrupted before 3.8 - even if splitting threads took long time sometimes?

Imagine a thread of 1000 posts. I use the last 100 posts to create a new thread. What I've seen now is eg. that if I split thread A into A and B this way, it will still look 'unsplit' after having moved posts over to a new location (treads 1-1000 will still look as if they are in thread A). Not only that, but if I click on the last page number of that thread, it will only show the last 100 posts - not the first 900 - even if the thread looks as if it contains the full 1000 posts after the attempted split operation.

I never had this pre 3.8...
                    The Vegan Forum

Comment

I don't have an explanation for the difference in behavior between the two versions. But it is not uncommon that you need to run these counters after major maintenance:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Update Counters

Rebuild Thread Information
                      Rebuild Forum Information

Comment

Sure... the problem occurs when this has to be done after every thread edit (which is what we have seen)!

Thanks.
                        The Vegan Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X