X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Content Encoding Error

I'm getting the following error:

Originally posted by Content Encoding Error
    The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.
    This error used to happen every once in a while, when I posted on 3.7.4, and even then, only for the past week or so. Then, I upgraded to 3.8, and it started happening a bit more frequently. I found this thread, and tried following the instructions there, but, since I changed the compression to 0, it happens now almost every time I post.

If I go to the address bar, remove the anchor link, and hit enter, it reloads the page just fine. If I hit back, and click post again, it bring me to the "This is a duplicate of a post you have posted in the last five minutes, you will now be brought to that post." message, and it appears that my message posted just fine.

For now, I'm turning the compression back to 1, to avoid this error.

Thanks. =]

EDIT: Also, I'd like to know if there is a command or something I can run in shell to check if compression is on, or maybe something I can check out in cPanel, WHM, or the litespeed admin panel or something (Yes, we're using litespeed >.<).
    Fun, ROMs, gaming, emulations, and a friendly community!

http://www.emulysianfields.com

Disable the compression completely. Don't just adjust the level:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> GZIP HTML Output

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
      Disable the compression completely. Don't just adjust the level:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Cookies and HTTP Header Options -> GZIP HTML Output
      Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the last instructions.

Is there a way to check if the server is compressing things?

Also, is there an advantage to having vBulletin handle the compression, as opposed to the server?

Comment

There is no advantage either way. Some servers use mod_gzip. Otherwise you can use the GZIP option in vBulletin. The problem comes when both GZIP options are used.

The phpinfo page will probably list mod_gzip somewhere if your server is using it:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> View PHP Info

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Bunce View Post
          There is no advantage either way. Some servers use mod_gzip. Otherwise you can use the GZIP option in vBulletin. The problem comes when both GZIP options are used.

The phpinfo page will probably list mod_gzip somewhere if your server is using it:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> View PHP Info
          Actually, it doesn't. We aren't even running Apache. We're on litespeed, so, only mod_rewrite, and like, one other thing actually work on it. The only thing that said anything about gzip on the entire phpinfo page was:

_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING"] gzip,deflate

I don't know if that means that it is in fact in gzip, or if it means that it's not. If it isn't, this may be a bug with vBulletin or a popular modification as of lately. I've been seeing more and more people posting about the same compression error lately, mostly on vb.org.

Either way, the problem appears to be fixed. There haven't been any further complaints, all of the users I had watching for the problem have reported none of it, and I haven't seen it myself.

Sorry for the mix-up earlier, and thanks for your all your help. =]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X