How do you set up forum permission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you set up forum permission?

I got a forum with 300 forums, around 40 of which requires specific permissions (cannot inherit). I also have around 33 usergroups most with specific permissions. Every time I create a new group It is very difficult to set up all the correct permission. In addition is very hard to review and see what each group has permission to do.

At the moment I use usergroup2 to make sure users belonging to alternate usergroups have access to everything, and use the new usergroups (no access to anything) to give them access to private sections (Yes overrules No).

Could anyone explain what is the proper protocol for forum permission and usergroup permissions? I mean maybe the "quick" functions are there for practical purposes or something...

At the moment just adding one group means well over 40 (x2 with redirects) page loads, plus rechecking... adding a new subforum requires about more than 20 page loads (x2). It takes way too long, it is way too painful. It would be so much easier to be able to see all the permissions a usergroup has in each subforum at a glance, and be able to change it just as quickly... in combination with opening a editing a new forum and being able to see all the usergroup permissions at a glance.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it!' -Team Skunkworkssigpic
    "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

There is no easy way to do it that I have found. We appointed an admin with a restricted permissions so that he could manage all the usergroups and permissions. The best way I found is through Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions
    www.thenewfba.com
    XM and Sirius Satellite radio board

Comment

All my references were from Forums & Moderators > Forum Permissions as you mentioned.
      There must be a better way thoug... :S otherwise it should be a must improve feature... I waste too much time with permissions... it's not intuitive nor friendly.
      "I was a Hidden Treasure and loved to be known. Therefore I created the Creation that I might be known"

Comment

Granted, this is a lot of forums and usergroups so there must be some manual work done, it's designed the way it to offer a lot of flexibility so it's a trade off.

It sounds like you are probably already aware of the permission duplication tools Forums & Moderators> Forum Peri missions> Permission Duplication Tools (at the top of the page) which will allow you to copy the same permission to multiple groups or forums.

Additionally, when creating any forum or usergroup you can base it off of any current permission as well. That should at least take some of the work out of it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ericgtr View Post
          Granted, this is a lot of forums and usergroups so there must be some manual work done, it's designed the way it to offer a lot of flexibility so it's a trade off.

It sounds like you are probably already aware of the permission duplication tools Forums & Moderators> Forum Peri missions> Permission Duplication Tools (at the top of the page) which will allow you to copy the same permission to multiple groups or forums.

Additionally, when creating any forum or usergroup you can base it off of any current permission as well. That should at least take some of the work out of it for you.
          Compromise? Flexibility? I fail to see what I'm gaining from this "benefits" if it takes me about an hour to create a new usergroup. It is not friendly or intuitive.

For example why not be more efficient, and instead of showing one usergroup at a time, (in an specific forum) in vertical columns be able to add (ajax) other usergroups, and have an option to display all usergroups. True it will result in a horizontal displace bar, but functionally that is much better than loading 30+ pages. That is compromise.

A new cool function would be to select a usergroup, and the page loads shows all the permisions (horizontal x-axis) against each subforum (y-axis). In other woards with one click you can see all the permisions this usergroup has in all forums, and just as easily change them.

In combination with the current tools, this method would be more intuitive, friendlier, and much quicker... I don't see any drawbacks.

The duplication tools don't convince me, after using them I have to check everything, which doesn't really save me all that much time...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X