Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google AdSense/vB Integration Questions and Concerns

These questions are for vB staff.

1) If we choose to use the Google AdSense Integration option in vB - can Jelsoft get information, statistical or financial about OUR Google adsense account/activity?

In other words will you be able to see how many ads we serve? How many page impressions we deliver? How many clicks we get? How much revenue we earn?

If so I think this a huge abuse of position - as a software provider you have absolutely no reason to know any of that information.

The only reason (I can think of) for you wanting that information is for your parent company's use; which is in the business of buying/selling/running their own vB powered sites.

Please don't insult us by saying we don't have to 'opt in' - the point here is that you should not be getting access to such information for ANY site, because it puts you at an unfair advantage against the rest of us. This is actually quite underhand.

If I am wrong about the above and you can't and never will have access to any information about our account activity then please ignore the above, or perhaps keep it for reference in case you ever think about doing something like that - because the community that made vB won't stand for it, and I'm sure there would be legal recourse in such abuse, it may even get to the point where the community sue you for implementing their suggestions and ideas, because as it is, they offered them to a company that made software for them, not one that makes software for the benefit of their sites above anyone elses.

2) If you just wanted to earn a referral fee for referring new customers to Google, why didn't the normal referral link suffice?

3) Why wasn't this disclosed in the 3.8 announcement thread?

4) Who's idea was it to include this feature, and did you really think customers would have wanted dev time spent on this instead of adding features that we've been requesting for months?

5) Do you have any control or influence over any other aspect of 'our' account if we use it?
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

I've noticed an increase in vBulletin google ads on my site since the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
      I haven't noticed any changes at all. In fact, I've NEVER see a vBulletin ad.

Does your forum mention forum software?
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

yeah to be honest, I was wondering the exact same thing. Looking forward to the response of VB here.
        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
          I haven't noticed any changes at all. In fact, I've NEVER see a vBulletin ad.

Does your forum mention forum software?
          Not that I can think of. I've been using adsense for over a year and have used the competitive filter to keep forum type ads off my site. My forum is a general community site so most of my members don't know what a vbulletin is so they wouldn't be discussing it on the main page. Nothing has changed except the new vB ads.

Comment

Here's an example
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a single ad under the navbar and text below my forums.
              I'll keep an eye out.
              ...steven
              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy View Post
                Same here...
                HostAtom.net - Forum Hosting at it's best! Email [email protected] and find out more!
                Cpanel, Softaculous, LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, Daily R1Soft backups, 24x7 Server monitoring

Comment

Interesting, I'll like to read what does vb people think about this as well. When I saw the sticky post I started to think about this and a few post below I found this thread.

Hopefully they will post a better explanation here on this forum shortly.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Comment

I am kind of wary about signing my adsense over to vbulletin to enable a template feature in the software we purchased already from them. This seems kind of extreme for jelsoft to do IMO.

I did begin to enable adsense integration but I am now leaning towards not confirming it when i get the email from google.

While it is probably on the upandup, using this feature totally smacks of a stealthy hijack maneuver by jelsoft IMO.

Comment

At least one working day has passed since I posted these questions, so I (and many others) would appreciate an answer please.

Comment

It's already posted : http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...09#post1679409

Comment

That doesn't answer my questions - and in particular I want to specifically know whether they can see:
                          • How many ads are served / How many page impressions are delivered
                          • How many clicks are made
                          • How much revenue is earned
                          • Page CTR
                          • Page eCPM

For each site that uses the system.

Comment

You really don't have to use there process. I've was able to add my own ads in the same location. All you need to know is the file and location and then paste your own coding in the same spot.

Comment

That's not the point - the point is they're (IB) are getting information about the competition this way, and that's what I (and many others) object to.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X