Need EMail Bounces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need EMail Bounces

I use postfix and need to know what settings to use so that bounced emails get sent back to me. I understand the options as shows in the admincp, but I'm not using sendmail.

Thanks.
    House of Night Forums - An online House of Night roleplaying community,

This setting still applies to your custom SMTP server AFAIK:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Email Options -> Bounce Email Address

Comment

But I don't have SMTP server set. The php mail() function doesn't need it. Do I need to set vb up to use smtp instead? It sends mail just fine as is. I just never see any bounces and I know there's quite a few bad addresses in the system.

Comment

There is nothing special you need to do to get the bounce email working. Just specify the bounce email address and that's it.

Maybe email functions aren't working on your server. Try a test email:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Email

Are any errors reported? Do you receive the email? Try sending a test email to multiple different addresses to ensure that it's not a spam filter problem.

This document is also useful:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...bleshoot_email

Comment

Pertinent PHP Settings SMTP:localhostsendmail_from:Nonesendmail_path:/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

Results No errors were returned while attempting to send the email. Check [email protected] shortly to confirm you've received the email. If you don't receive the email, try sending the test to a different address. If that fails, check your mail server's configuration.

Mail receieved. Again. If it sends something that should bounce, I never get the report.

Note: I own the server. FreeBSD 6.4, Postfix 1, no spam filters serverside, or on my mail client.

Comment

I don't know why you aren't receiving the bounces. Assuming the bounce email address is valid and working, maybe there is some problem with the delivery. You might have to get into the mail logs on your server to track down the problem.

Comment

An example from mailog...

Jan 9 08:42:14 ragingpenguin postfix/qmgr[8498]: F148F171CC: from=<[email protected]>, size=739, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

Jan 9 08:42:14 ragingpenguin postfix/smtp[23633]: DFBBF171C1: to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=1, status=bounced (Name service error for null.null: Host not found)

...I have my webmaster emailaddress listed in the Boune EMAIL setting, even though it is supposed to use that if blank anyway. Why would it be using user "www"???

Comment

I figured it out. Aparently postfix has a faux "sendmail" binary. Merely enabling the -f option fixed it. I now get bounces.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X