Accented characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accented characters

Like many others before, I experienced a problem related to accented chars upgrading to 3.8.11. The system wrongly interpreted as ISO-8859-1 my UTF-8 database so it changed all my accented words.

It reported:
    Ã instead of à

è instead of è
    é instead of é
    ì instead of ì
    ò instead of ò
    ù instead of ù

I would like to know if there is a way to prevent this or to fix it using a code in htaccess or somewhere else (maybe with a replace function).

BTW Meanwhile I reverted to my old VB forum waiting for a solution.

vBulletin 3 does not support UTF-8. You can try to work around this issue by changing the HTML character set from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 in the AdminCP under Languages & Phrases -> Language Manager -> Edit Language. However, it will actually store UTF-8 characters in the database as their HTML Entity, not the actual character.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

vBulletin 3.8.11 you mean? Because vBulletin 3.8.9 supports well UTF-8

Comment

vBulletin 3 doesn't support UTF-8. It fakes it. What it does is converts characters that should be UTF-8 into HTML Entities and stores them in a Latin1 database. In addition to this, the default character set in vBulletin 3 is ISO-8859-1. This is an obsolete subset of UTF-8 characters specifically for European Language support.

vBulletin doesn't support UTF-8 until vBulletin 5.4.X and that support is still being improved.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Thanks for explanation.
          I don't understand why I had no problems at all upgrading till VB 3.8.9 and then a total chaos with 3.8.11

Comment

You were lucky. Though in reality, there has been a lot of work to move the Web to UTF-8 over the last decade. As servers get updated with new software, things work differently. vBulletin 3 is essentially 15 year old software. 3.8.9 through 3.8.11 just fix a few bugs and updated support for newer versions of PHP up through 7.1. These changes could very well introduce new bugs in processing text. Unfortunately, vBulletin 3.X is end of life so there won't be any new work on it.

Even vBulletin 5 is 8 years old. However, it is still being developed, refactored, and maintained to work with newer versions of PHP. We don't even support PHP 7.1 with vBulletin 5.6 or higher.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              You were lucky. Though in reality, there has been a lot of work to move the Web to UTF-8 over the last decade. As servers get updated with new software, things work differently. vBulletin 3 is essentially 15 year old software. 3.8.9 through 3.8.11 just fix a few bugs and updated support for newer versions of PHP up through 7.1. These changes could very well introduce new bugs in processing text. Unfortunately, vBulletin 3.X is end of life so there won't be any new work on it.

Even vBulletin 5 is 8 years old. However, it is still being developed, refactored, and maintained to work with newer versions of PHP. We don't even support PHP 7.1 with vBulletin 5.6 or higher.
              It seems to me that this is not a situation where you can be lucky or unlucky. In 3.8.11 the file related to the import of the database was modified so now the program wrongly reports the accented characters. In 3.8.9 it worked fine.
              Btw, do you know which php is related to the import of the database? Maybe I can do a comparison.

Comment

There is no functionality to import databases built into a default installation of vBulletin. You can review the upgrade steps for vBulletin 3.8.10 and 3.8.11 in the /install directory. They should be named upgrade_3810*.php and upgrade3811*.php.

If for some reason you used IMPEX instead of upgrading, then all sorts of things can happen since it has never been updated to handle newer versions of PHP. The files for importing vBulletin 3.X in ImpEx are in the /systems/vb3 directory. You'd have to inspect them all because I don't know which module would apply to your situation. You can see the entire ImpEx source code on GitHub. No development has occurred on ImpEx for six years though.

Wayne Luke

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X