Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 3.8 to 5.0 ou install a new vbulletin 5.0 + copy the old data?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 3.8 to 5.0 ou install a new vbulletin 5.0 + copy the old data?

I had a old vbulletin 3.8 in chinese in my external hard drive. I'd like to restart my forum with old data by a new hosting.

I just bought un upgrade vulletin 5.0. But I don't know if I'd better buy and install a new english vbulletin and take a copy of all old data(possible?) , or upgrade from 3.8 in chinese to 5.0 in english, PLZ?

Best regards

You should just upgrade the existing forum to vB5.

Note that we have no official Chinese language pack for vBulletin 5.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      You should just upgrade the existing forum to vB5.

Note that we have no official Chinese language pack for vBulletin 5.
      Thanks for your advice, no problem for the chinese language pack, I can take the english version.
      But the problem is: my provider hasn't the old version PHP to support the vbulletin 3.8 any more, the 3.8 can't work with the new PHP+5.4, that's also why I closed my forum two years ago. So I think I can't install my old vbulletin now....😭

Is there a solution with the new install 5.0 and import the old posts, please?

Comment

Originally posted by tingzi View Post

Thanks for your advice, no problem for the chinese language pack, I can take the english version.
        But the problem is: my provider hasn't the old version PHP to support the vbulletin 3.8 any more, the 3.8 can't work with the new PHP+5.4, that's also why I closed my forum two years ago. So I think I can't install my old vbulletin now....😭

Is there a solution with the new install 5.0 and import the old posts, please?
        Doesn't matter...just make sure you are running at least php 7.1, upload the new files and upgrade. You don't need the old forum to be physically working in order to do that.

Note that you will need to remove all the old vB3 files (except things like avatars, sigpics and profile pics if these are stored in the file system) before uploading the new vB5 files.

This should help:
        https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Doesn't matter...just make sure you are running at least php 7.1, upload the new files and upgrade. You don't need the old forum to be physically working in order to do that.

Note that you will need to remove all the old vB3 files (except things like avatars, sigpics and profile pics if these are stored in the file system) before uploading the new vB5 files.

This should help:
          So great! Thanks a lot. I will do it asap.

Comment

This should help:
            Hi Mark.B

I created un new database/mysql for my forum,
            uploaded my old vb 4.0 in /web et the new upgrade vb5.0 in /web/vb5,
            renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess,
            renamed /web/vb5/config.php.bkp to config.php,
            changed settings of the config.php in the /web/includes/config.php and the config.php in /web/vb5/core/includes/config.phg.
            And when I'd like install upgrade in google chrome : http:// www......com/vb5/core/install/upgrade.php, it shows "The requested URL / was not found on this server".
            🤯

Should I have deleted some old files? Sorry I didn't find a solution from https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade becasue my old forum wasn't installed and it isn't physically working.

Comment

You don't even need any of the old files. The old files all need to be deleted anyway. Uploading them to the server is a wasted step.
              1. Restore your old database.
              2. Upload the vBulletin 5 files.
              3. Rename config.php.bkp to config.php.
              4. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess
              5. Rename /core/includes/config.php.bak to /core/includes/config.php.
              6. Edit the /core/includes/config.php to connect to your database.
              7. Run /core/install/upgrade.php
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                You don't even need any of the old files. The old files all need to be deleted anyway. Uploading them to the server is a wasted step.
                1. Restore your old database.
                2. Upload the vBulletin 5 files.
                3. Rename config.php.bkp to config.php.
                4. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess
                5. Rename /core/includes/config.php.bak to /core/includes/config.php.
                6. Edit the /core/includes/config.php to connect to your database.
                7. Run /core/install/upgrade.php
                I didn't do the backup of my old database. Should I do? 😥

Comment

Well the database contains all your old information. Without it, you can't upgrade. You have to do a completely new installation.

Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Well the database contains all your old information. Without it, you can't upgrade. You have to do a completely new installation.
                    Thanks, I misunderstood something.

So, I upload my 240 old tables(backup sql) to the database, install the ungrade.php......
                    the forum works now, but it's a totaly new forum, it hasn't any old posts. What a sad issue. How can resolve it please?

Comment

Did your old database have a table prefix like vb_ in the table names? If so, then you need to add that table prefix into your /core/includes/config.php file so vBulletin will see them and upgrade the proper tables.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Did your old database have a table prefix like vb_ in the table names? If so, then you need to add that table prefix into your /core/includes/config.php file so vBulletin will see them and upgrade the proper tables.
                        Yes, table prefix is vb_

I retried the install one more time, but......

Uploading vBulletin to your Server
                        6. Important: If you are upgrading from vBulletin 3 or 4, backup your existing files and delete the files off your server before proceeding. vBulletin 5 needs to be installed in an empty directory. Do not delete your attachments, customavatar, customprofilepic, or signaturepics folders.
                        So I should leave my old attachments, customavatar, customprofilepic, or signaturepics folders at my /root, and upload all new files at /root/vb5, is it?
                        I did it, but I met a error page at step 15. 🤔
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	problem install.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	4438628

Comment

Thanks the technique ticket support, now the forum is upgraded. Super!

In the old posts of forum vb5.0 , there is none picture. I'd like to ask which folds of old images and avatars etc I should upload now? I hadn't saved the images with the database.

Comment

The default folders/directories to store attachments and avatars are /attachments and /core/customavatars respectively. On your old site these would be /attachments and /customavatars.

You can see if you used these defaults or custom values by going to Attachments -> Attachment Storage Type and Settings -> User Picture Storage Type.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment