Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempting upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (eventually to 5); unix file permissions errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StephenKay
    replied
    Just to tie up this thread:
    After some research, I ended up setting the permissions of all folders to 755 and all files to 644. I would assume that attachments and avatars folders etc. only need to be 777 if you are allowing users to upload into them (i,.e. storing files outside of the database) - which I am not. Anyway, it's working.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You need to ask your hosting provider what the proper permissions should be there. Seems they should be 644.

Leave a comment:

• twistsol
    replied
    Depending on your the user assigned to run your web server, either 644 or 755 should work. Your your attachments, avatars sitemap, etc, should usually be 777.

Leave a comment:

• Attempting upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (eventually to 5); unix file permissions errors

I am attempting to upgrade from 3.7.7 to 3.8.11 (as a first step in eventually getting to 5.x).

I've uploaded a new set of vb 3.8.11 files to my test installation (copy) from my macbook pro. The problem is I can see that the unix file permissions are different than what they were on my original forums.

I'm getting server errors when attempting to run the upgrade.php script, such as:

Code:
    [Sun Apr 28 20:34:15.376688 2019] [:error] [pid 30892] SoftException in Application.cpp:651: Directory "/home/xxxx/public_html/forumtest/install" is writeable by group
    [Sun Apr 28 20:28:42.964747 2019] [:error] [pid 31313] SoftException in Application.cpp:261: File "/home/xxxx/public_html/forumtest/install/upgrade.php" is writeable by group
    Is there any documentation of what the correct file permissions are to be for all the various files and directories?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X