Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NavyVeteran
    replied
    Beating a dead horse of course of course. Just do us all a favor and remove the update to 3.8.7. It is misleading. Not illegal but just misleading. I'm currently saving up the cash to upgrade to 4.0 but haven't gotten it yet so 3.8.4 will do.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by kjh411 View Post
    Which I did for another licence, however I have just started using a different vB licence which I had purchased but had not used. I would be happy to purchase 3.x licence renewal.

You still offer the 3.8.7 update, but only if we purchase another product, vb 4.x.
    The Maintenance Pack which was offered was specifically to allow users to upgrade to 3.8.7 as the release date would have been after most people's vB3 licenses expired. The fact that it was available for 8 months, emails relating to it were sent and an AdminCP news item put in place should have let all owners see it in one way or another. It's been made very clear on here over the past 18 months that there will be no renewal optio for vB3 other than a vB4 license.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    This topic has been discussed to death..

Leave a comment:

• kjh411
    replied
    Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
    Erm, no. You had access to free updates for a year - if you wanted an updated after that you had to purchase a renewal.
    Which I did for another licence, however I have just started using a different vB licence which I had purchased but had not used. I would be happy to purchase 3.x licence renewal.

You still offer the 3.8.7 update, but only if we purchase another product, vb 4.x.

This is like Microsoft saying "you can still access all the Windows XP Service Packs and updates, but only if you buy Windows 7". This would be called coercion, and that is precisely what you are doing. You are trying to coerce your existing customers into buying a new product which they do not want or need.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    Originally posted by kjh411 View Post
    But you are dealing with people who have already paid you for a licence for your software, and have been accustomed to being able to download updates of that software free of charge, by following a similar link from AdminCP. You created that expectation.
    Erm, no. You had access to free updates for a year - if you wanted an updated after that you had to purchase a renewal. Those were done away with at the end of 2009 however last year we introduced a Maintenance Pack to allow users to upgrade to the final version of the 3.x series. This was available for 8 months and was communicated via email three times (including the withdrawal date twice) and via the AdminCP News system.

Leave a comment:

• kjh411
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    Its not presented as free - the word "free" does not appear anywhere.
    But you are dealing with people who have already paid you for a licence for your software, and have been accustomed to being able to download updates of that software free of charge, by following a similar link from AdminCP. You created that expectation.

The wording of the link in AdminCP hasn't changed from when it was free. I consider that deceptive given that you are in fact trying to sell something new (vB4.x), without mentioning a price.

The irony is that it's not even obvious that one has to pay for it when you click the link. Version 3.8.7 just doesn't show up on the list of available downloads. I had to create a support ticket to find out that I had to buy a different product, vBulletin 4.x, before I could download an update to an earlier product - vBulletin 3.x. I bet I'm not the first person to create such a support ticket either.

The link in AdminCP it really just like spam, it just wastes our time and serves to further alienate many people who were paying customers of vBulletin for years!

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    Its not presented as free - the word "free" does not appear anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• kjh411
    replied
    I've just created a support ticket about this before I saw this thread. I have exactly the same question.

Why does my CP say Click here to download vBulletin 3.8.7 from the Members' Area when it is not possible to do that?

Is it just a ploy to try to get us to upgrade to v4.x?

Where I live it's illegal to present something as being free when it is not. It doesn't matter what your opinion is, what matters is whether the customer is given the impression that it is free. IMO, the wording Click here to download vBulletin 3.8.7 from the Members' Area needs to be changed to something which clearly states there is a cost involved. ich
    Last edited by kjh411; Tue 7 Jun '11, 7:06pm.

Leave a comment:

• wacnstac
    replied
    This sucks. What a money grab.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by jl255 View Post
    i have the same problem too. i want to upgrade to the latest patches for 3.X but can't. I don't want to upgrade to 4.X yet as there are tons of changes needed like skins. any possibility???
    As per other responses in this thread - no.

Leave a comment:

• jl255
    replied
    i have the same problem too. i want to upgrade to the latest patches for 3.X but can't. I don't want to upgrade to 4.X yet as there are tons of changes needed like skins. any possibility???

Leave a comment:

• stevo_s
    replied
    Can someone tell me the 'official' reason why you can't upgrade to 3.8.6 or 3.8.7 if you already own the software version already? and have done for 10 years? why is a basic upgrade being re-sold as a new purchase for a totally different version of the software? I don't think I've ever heard of it in any other software out there.

Surely denying a basic software upgrade, even purely for security reasons is considered a no-no in basic standards and practices?

Leave a comment:

• stevo_s
    replied
    Sorry, but tying a basic software upgrade into a license for a new separate system at $175.00 is wrong IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Trevor Hannant
    replied
    You should note that the price is a one-off price - there are no renewals with that license so you will have access to all versions of vB3 and vB4 (as well as all future vB4 releases) at no extra cost.

Leave a comment:

• Paul M
    replied
    Originally posted by stevo_s View Post
    I don't see an upgrade/renew for VB3?
    Do you mean I have to buy a license for 4 to upgrade VB3? $175.00
    I just want to use VB3 - not interested in upgrading to 4
    Surely it can't be $175.00 to renew? - last time I seem to remember it was $50.00 or so to renew a support license.
    The option to upgrade to 3.8.7 (only) was withdrawn a few weeks ago, so now the only option left to you is to buy a vb4 upgrade.

Not sure why the vb3 pack was withdrawn, thats something IB/VBS would need to clarify.

Edit: NM, I see Trevor already replied, but yeah, I can see people deciding to move away rather than pay $175 (plus VAT in the UK).

Leave a comment: