Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from a fresh install while moving servers - which folders to copy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Yes, that is what it would do.

I am honestly confused by your question regarding what would be 'redundant'. It's simple really. Move everything over, make sure everything works, then all the old files and data are not needed.

Leave a comment:

• Kadence
    replied
    Will selecting "Move Items from File System into Database" under User Picture Storage Type apply to all three folders - /avatars, /profilepics, and /signaturepics?

And by the old files will be redundant, do you mean after a move into the DB from filesystem, or a server move? Because I was referring to a move into the database, and whether that will make the folders redundant.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    I was referring to the directories in post #5.

Once everything is moved and you have made sure it's all working fine, then the old site and files will be redundant. I would not delete anything until you have completed a successful move though.

Leave a comment:

• Kadence
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Then you need to also backup and restore those directories.
    Which directories do you mean - do you mean profilepics and signaturepics? Are there any ways to move those to the database as well?

And after doing the "move to database" option for avatars and attachments, those folders would become redundant and ignorable correct?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Then you need to also backup and restore those directories.

Leave a comment:

• Kadence
    replied
    Thanks. The Admincp>Avatars>User Picture Storage Type section says:
    Avatars are currently being served from the filesystem at ./avatars
    Profile pictures are currently being served from the filesystem at ./profilepics
    Signature pictures are currently being served from the filesystem at ./signaturepics
    If I click "Move Items from File System into Database", will that then make the avatars folder redundant? What about the profilepics and signaturepics data?

Attachments (currently stored in public_html/attachments) also has a "Move Items from File System into Database" option. Other than avatars and attachments, is there anything else which needs to be moved into the DB that I should be aware of?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    They are stored in the database by default unless you manually changed the storage to the file system. If you have any custom images or avatars that are stored in the file system, you need to move them over as well.

Leave a comment:

• Kadence
    replied
    Thank you. So avatars and such are stored in the database as well? What happens to the files like in the /avatars folder? There are no files or folders that need to be transferred?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Just upload a new copy of vB from the members area. Make sure you upload the same version that you are running now. Then all you need to do is:

1. backup and restore the database to the new server

2. Copy includes/config.php.new to config.php and edit it with the new db info.

3. And if you are storing attachments in the file system, you need to backup and restore that directory to the new server. See this: How Do I Change the Location of Attachments After a Server Move

Leave a comment:

• Upgrading from a fresh install while moving servers - which folders to copy?

In my current install of vBulletin, I am suspecting that there might be files that are security hazards/hacks left over from the old ownership. I would like to move to another server while installing the latest 3.8 fresh, so I know that none of the files are compromised. In other words, it wouldn't involve me transferring the account via cPanel and then upgrading. I'd like install all files fresh. Not sure how to approach this though.

1) Which folders would I have to copy manually? (other than templates) For instance the avatars folder would need to be copied I am assuming.
    2) How should I do the installation - should I install 3.6.8PL2, transfer the database, then upgrade to 3.8?