Split part of existing forum off to a new forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split part of existing forum off to a new forum

Is there a way to populate a new forum with members, threads and posts from an existing forum, on a selective basis? I would like to copy only a few forums on one of my sites to a new forum I want to set up. I want it to contain a copy of the existing threads and posts from only those selected forums and only a small number of members.

Would it be easier to just copy the database to the new forum and then delete everything I don't want, including members? Is that a viable way to copy a forum and then prune it or make other necessary changes, like forum titles and descriptions?

Any advice would be appreciated. My plan is to purchase a new vB package and use the 3.8.x version because that's what I use on the current forum and that's the version I happen to like.

Thanks,

Jim
    If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
    www.TheFloorPro.com

Originally posted by eJM View Post
    Would it be easier to just copy the database to the new forum and then delete everything I don't want, including members? Is that a viable way to copy a forum and then prune it or make other necessary changes, like forum titles and descriptions.
    This is your best and most effective option. Copy the database and then delete anything you don't want in the new location.
    To be updated...

Comment

Thanks ENF. I went to bed last night thinking this too. It will be a lot of work because the parts I want to keep are less than half of the existing. I also don't plan to use all the same plug-ins and add-ons - most notably leaving off vBadvanced CMPS and vBSEO.
      If my post was helpful to you, please take the time to register at my forum and ask a question you've always wanted to know about floors.
      www.TheFloorPro.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X