X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dutchbb
    replied
    Originally posted by AntonyF View Post
    As AlexanderT said, I wasn't saying that bugs were limited to just vB. However I expect them to be fixed.

As they have has conceeded there are faults with vBulletin 3.8, making me pay for version 4 to fix those faults is wrong.

Products bought from the UK must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and free from defects. vBulletin clearly is not free from defects if it has a lot of bug fixes, and they are providing no avenue to fix said bugs.
    You have a point there, it would have been better to make 3.8 users pay the yearly fee till EOL of 3.x.

On the other hand, if vB has the law at their side, there's not a lot you can do about it...

Leave a comment:

• AntonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    This is nothing new... Bugs can always pop up in software. I'm not sure why you act like if it's something reserved only for vB.
    As AlexanderT said, I wasn't saying that bugs were limited to just vB. However I expect them to be fixed.

As they have has conceeded there are faults with vBulletin 3.8, making me pay for version 4 to fix those faults is wrong.

Products bought from the UK must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and free from defects. vBulletin clearly is not free from defects if it has a lot of bug fixes, and they are providing no avenue to fix said bugs.

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    The fact that we need to renew the license every year is not new. And so if the license is expired you need to pay. This is not the same as the operating systems you mentioned. But I can understand that people are not happy about the fact that IB changed this abruptly to 1 fee per series. They could have kept the yearly fee until 3.x EOL yes. But it's too late now.

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    This is nothing new... Bugs can always pop up in software. I'm not sure why you act like if it's something reserved only for vB.
    How is Anthony acting as if this was reserved only for vB? It is common practice to receive patches and security updates for free for the version of the product you purchased as long as this product is being supported. Correct me if I am wrong, but vB 3.8 is not EOL yet, is it?

I purchased Windows XP in 2001. Windows XP SP2 will reach EOL on July 13, 2010. Critical security updates will be provided unpaid until April 8, 2014. This is a long time after MS has released Vista and 7, of which neither I was required to purchase to receive continued support. Need another example? Apple recently released Snow Leopard. Yet, on my notebook you'll only find its predecessor, Leopard. I haven't purchased Snow Leopard, but I still receive full support including updates correcting bugs and security exploits for Leopard.

IB decided to go another way to subsidize a flawed vB 4.0 release and to impress their shareholders with an inflated number of new licensees for their software. It's very short-term thinking and eventually it will come back to hunt them.

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    Originally posted by AntonyF View Post
    This is shocking to me, and I question the legality.

We have bought the software. This release isn't new features, it is fixing problems in the software that we purchased. By fixing "27 bugs", vBulletin is admitting that the software we bought had flaws. Bugs in its code.

But to fix these flaws, not only do we have to pay more - but we have to purchase v4 at a highly inflated cost.

Imagine Toyota with its recent problems.. and they said not only do you have to pay to fix problems that they knew about in your current Toyota -- but you have to buy a new Toyota too. Would that be allowed?

Leave a comment:

• AntonyF
    replied
    This is shocking to me, and I question the legality.

We have bought the software. This release isn't new features, it is fixing problems in the software that we purchased. By fixing "27 bugs", vBulletin is admitting that the software we bought had flaws. Bugs in its code.

But to fix these flaws, not only do we have to pay more - but we have to purchase v4 at a highly inflated cost.

Imagine Toyota with its recent problems.. and they said not only do you have to pay to fix problems that they knew about in your current Toyota -- but you have to buy a new Toyota too. Would that be allowed?

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    Originally posted by BvZ View Post
    I also opened a ticket a few minutes ago, my license (owned one) expired at the end of january 2010 i bought the license for vbulletin 3.8.x series and really would like to have the option to download the latest patch..

Im not interested in vbulletin 4.0 forum, the cms and blogging system and never will be, and paying $175 for just being able to download the latest 3.8.x patch is just sick..
    Eventually you, and everyone else, will need to upgrade to 4.x or 5.x because 3.x will not be supported/patched anymore when it reaches EOL. At that time, when a (big) security bug is found, there is nothing you can do about it, unless you would hire a coder to patch it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• BvZ
    replied
    I also opened a ticket a few minutes ago, my license (owned one) expired at the end of january 2010 i bought the license for vbulletin 3.8.x series and really would like to have the option to download the latest patch..

Im not interested in vbulletin 4.0 forum, the cms and blogging system and never will be, and paying $175 for just being able to download the latest 3.8.x patch is just sick..

Leave a comment:

• Zoro
    replied
    I opened a ticket over 12 hours ago asking about this issue, and I have not got any reply back yet.

Leave a comment:

• calaf6
    replied
    I am another person who does not want v.4

If there was a sensible price to get the latest 3 series software I would be happy to pay it, but I am not wasting money to buy something I do not want. Sadly other forum software is starting to look better value

Leave a comment:

• menace
    replied
    I am having the same problem, mine says "Inactive - Expired" I would pay the fee to go to 3.8.5 maintenance release from 3.8.4, I am not wanting to pay anything toward 4.x.x I do not want that version at this time.
    Same here, I am quite happy with 3.8 & do not wish to upgrade at this time either.

This Sucks big time.

Leave a comment:

• MissKalunji
    replied
    well damn

Leave a comment:

• Zoro
    replied
    Not me, vbulletin will not ever get any more of my money then.

Leave a comment:

• MissKalunji
    replied
    So basically i have to renew for 175 to upgrade to 3.8.5? even tho i don't want to go to 4.x?

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    depending on when it expired - you can Try opening a support ticket. No reason you should be punished when IB delayed the release by 7 or so months

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X