No announcement yet.

Where is 3.8.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is shocking to me, and I question the legality.

We have bought the software. This release isn't new features, it is fixing problems in the software that we purchased. By fixing "27 bugs", vBulletin is admitting that the software we bought had flaws. Bugs in its code.

But to fix these flaws, not only do we have to pay more - but we have to purchase v4 at a highly inflated cost.

Imagine Toyota with its recent problems.. and they said not only do you have to pay to fix problems that they knew about in your current Toyota -- but you have to buy a new Toyota too. Would that be allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyF View Post
      This is shocking to me, and I question the legality.

We have bought the software. This release isn't new features, it is fixing problems in the software that we purchased. By fixing "27 bugs", vBulletin is admitting that the software we bought had flaws. Bugs in its code.

But to fix these flaws, not only do we have to pay more - but we have to purchase v4 at a highly inflated cost.

Imagine Toyota with its recent problems.. and they said not only do you have to pay to fix problems that they knew about in your current Toyota -- but you have to buy a new Toyota too. Would that be allowed?
      This is nothing new... Bugs can always pop up in software. I'm not sure why you act like if it's something reserved only for vB.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
        This is nothing new... Bugs can always pop up in software. I'm not sure why you act like if it's something reserved only for vB.
        How is Anthony acting as if this was reserved only for vB? It is common practice to receive patches and security updates for free for the version of the product you purchased as long as this product is being supported. Correct me if I am wrong, but vB 3.8 is not EOL yet, is it?

I purchased Windows XP in 2001. Windows XP SP2 will reach EOL on July 13, 2010. Critical security updates will be provided unpaid until April 8, 2014. This is a long time after MS has released Vista and 7, of which neither I was required to purchase to receive continued support. Need another example? Apple recently released Snow Leopard. Yet, on my notebook you'll only find its predecessor, Leopard. I haven't purchased Snow Leopard, but I still receive full support including updates correcting bugs and security exploits for Leopard.

IB decided to go another way to subsidize a flawed vB 4.0 release and to impress their shareholders with an inflated number of new licensees for their software. It's very short-term thinking and eventually it will come back to hunt them.

Comment

The fact that we need to renew the license every year is not new. And so if the license is expired you need to pay. This is not the same as the operating systems you mentioned. But I can understand that people are not happy about the fact that IB changed this abruptly to 1 fee per series. They could have kept the yearly fee until 3.x EOL yes. But it's too late now.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
            As AlexanderT said, I wasn't saying that bugs were limited to just vB. However I expect them to be fixed.

As they have has conceeded there are faults with vBulletin 3.8, making me pay for version 4 to fix those faults is wrong.

Products bought from the UK must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and free from defects. vBulletin clearly is not free from defects if it has a lot of bug fixes, and they are providing no avenue to fix said bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyF View Post
              As AlexanderT said, I wasn't saying that bugs were limited to just vB. However I expect them to be fixed.

As they have has conceeded there are faults with vBulletin 3.8, making me pay for version 4 to fix those faults is wrong.

Products bought from the UK must be fit for purpose, of satisfactory quality and free from defects. vBulletin clearly is not free from defects if it has a lot of bug fixes, and they are providing no avenue to fix said bugs.
              You have a point there, it would have been better to make 3.8 users pay the yearly fee till EOL of 3.x.

On the other hand, if vB has the law at their side, there's not a lot you can do about it...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X