Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set up a test forum before upgrades...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set up a test forum before upgrades...

I was wondering if it is allowed to run a test forum on some other domian name other then the one the forum lisense is registered to?

I tried to make a myforum.com/test but due tot eh way my .htacess file is written, it just redirects to main site.com. Can i make test forum in a subdomain like test.domainname.com?

Thanks

Yes, just make sure it's locked.

I've always kept mine in test.mysite.org
    s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Cool, may i ask a bit more...

If i want to make beta site like test.mysite.org, besides changing the name and location of test database in config file, what do i do with the attachments file system. Since my attachemnts are saved in some file system in /home/user/, when i make a test site, i would want to be using a backup of the filesystem and if i change the location to a new directory of the file system, will it move and delete from the old location?

Oh since my original site is located at /home/user/public_html/ , would it be fine to make a test site located here /home/user/
      Thanks

Comment

I've never used a backed up db for testing, but I don't see why you couldn't. Just be sure it has a different name in the test site.

In cpanel, you can create a subdomain and it'll show up in your public_html folder as test, or whatever you name it.
        s.molinari - I would like to ask all customers to definitely feedback issues with the software and be specific with the issues, but to basically suck-up what happened in the past and try to just look forward.

Comment

Originally posted by moddis View Post
          Cool, may i ask a bit more...

If i want to make beta site like test.mysite.org, besides changing the name and location of test database in config file, what do i do with the attachments file system. Since my attachemnts are saved in some file system in /home/user/, when i make a test site, i would want to be using a backup of the filesystem and if i change the location to a new directory of the file system, will it move and delete from the old location?

Oh since my original site is located at /home/user/public_html/ , would it be fine to make a test site located here /home/user/
          Thanks
          Unless I'm misunderstanding, It's probably redundant to copy all the attachments, the test board can just read the live copy... just know if you delete anything attachment wise, the live site is going to be affected. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then you'll have to copy the attachments to a new directory and set vb's config accordingly on the test site. Making the test board outside of the public_html folder is going to make it inaccessible by your browser which renders it useless, you'll want to make it inside a folder in the public_html folder.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X