Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to upgrade from 3.5.4 to 3.8.1 so that I can go to 4.0

Hi folks -

I am having an issue when trying to upgrade from 3.5.4 to 3.8.1.

A little background on what I have done -

- I have created a blank test database container
    - uploaded a fresh install of 3.5.4
    - installed a clean 3.5.4 that results in a running forum with 95 tables in the database
    - uploaded the "upload" folder of the extracted 3.8.1 forum installation files
    - run the install/upgrade.php from my browser

When I do this, I get the following error on step 1:

Step 1) Upgrade to vBulletin 3.5.5 Complete!

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare delete_product() (previously declared in /home/sumthin/html/test/includes/adminfunctions.php:3195) in /home/sumthin/html/test/includes/adminfunctions_plugin.php on line 21

The xml versions are reported in the heading of the install page as follows:
    XML File Versions:

vbulletin-style.xml
    vbulletin-settings.xml
    vbulletin-language.xml
    vbulletin-adminhelp.xml

I am using WS-FTP Pro to upload the files - so I am confident that the uploads are correctly uploading the files.

Please let me know some things to look for - I have literally done this install 50 times and cannot get it to work (that is why I went back to a fresh, clean 3.4.5 with no data in the tables to try the upgrade to 3.8.1).

I would really appreciate some help here - I have been a paying customer here for some time, and intend to upgrade to 4.0 when and if I get the 3.8.1 installed and running cleanly.

Thanks and best regards -

mqqn

Hi folks -

My installation is at www.corvettevalley.com - I am co-admin and my other admin and I use id doggy1 here to get to the members area - I just like to use my own userid on all forums - if that is why nobody is answering my request for help here -

Come on folks - this should not be a big deal to help me resolve - I have a clean fresh install of 3.5.4 and the package of 3.8 that I have FAILS when I install - if the software is not to blame then it should be a simple matter of telling me where I am going awry.

best regards -

mqqn

Comment

Delete the all of the files and try reuploading again.

Comment

Hi Zachery -

Thank you for your reply (I am logged in as my licensed customer account) -

I have done what you suggest at least 30 times - along with re-creating all the tables from scratch - and to remove the files I log in via putty and rm -r the dir - so I think we can rule out a file upload or transfer issue.....

best regards -

mqqn - aka - doggy .....

Comment

Hi Zachery -

I was able to get the upgrade to go - it was very kludgy - the jelsoft software is not without its bugs, but if you babysit each step and correct all the errors as you go it can be done.

The upgrade instructions do not tell you to (as far as I can find) , but if you do delete the entire directory, then only have the new version files on the server, it will then upgrade (albeit with some troubles...)

I had been just using WSFTP to upload the new directory, overwriting the existing files and adding the new ones, but this leaves multiple declarations in separate files it appears.

I just wanted to thank you for at least replying and giving me something to experiment with - I appreciate your taking time to reply.

regards -

mqqn

Comment

Its not normally required. however from time to time servers/ftp clients/etc don't always do what their supposed to when new files get uploaded.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X