Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring vB Installation from one disk to another

This is more of a server question, but here it goes-

My forum has reached such a size that I need to start thinking of purchasing a larger/faster HDD for the server, and transferring the forum over to the new disk.

Is there any way to pretty much clone the contents of the current disk onto the new disk? Once I've done so, how to I point the server to use the new filesystem over the old one? I eventually want to get rid of the old disk.

I'm currently runing a Linux dedicated box. Any help would be appreciated!
    Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Just copy the files.

Comment

What about settings in plesk?
      Adam

Admin of PentaxForums.com, premiere photography forum for Pentax users (Big-Board).

Comment

That is a server issue, not a vB one.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Usually the members here tend to be quite knowledgeable- but I will try asking this somewhere else, I guess.
          Adam

Comment

If you are planning to use the same host provider and just upgrade your space. No work is required. However, if you're switching to a new provider. You are required to get a back up and then import it.
            Shun Goku Satsu

Comment

I am staying on the same server, it's just that a new disk is being added in addition to the current disk. The new disk is a 10k raptor drive, while the old was just a standard sata, so I'd like to move my forum over to the new disk while keeping the old one for other websites.

I guess I will just create a new mysql database, import from command line, and copy the files manually as if I were moving to a new server. Doesn't sould like there's an easier way
              Adam

Comment

Why can't you just copy the files?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                  Why can't you just copy the files?
                  What do you mean? The path to the new disk is entirely different, so I'd need to reconfigure the database and settings in plesk as well.
                  Adam

Comment

I still don't understand why you cant copy the vB files, then copy the mysql files to the other directory. Then reconfigure the server to recongize those directories.

Comment

Right, of course it's nothing more than copying some files- it's the reconfiguring part that I need help with.
                      Adam

Comment

For both apache and msyql, it should just be updating the config files.

Comment

I'll have a look at those, in that case. I contacted my datacenter and there appears to be a problem with mounting the volume, so once that's fixed, I'll start messing with the config.

Thanks!
                          Adam

Comment

simple as pie

1.- mount the disk
                            2.- rename your forum dir
                            3.- ln your new disk, to forum path
                            4.- move your forum dir contents to this new one
                            5.- mission acomplishied

[offtopic]
                            as a matter of fact i'm trying to do a ln to a url, just a project in my mind, i think it will be a little disastrous but i see my thinking was not wrong XD
                            [/offtopic]

Comment

Originally posted by lav0s View Post
                              simple as pie

1.- mount the disk
                              2.- rename your forum dir
                              3.- ln your new disk, to forum path
                              4.- move your forum dir contents to this new one
                              5.- mission acomplishied

[offtopic]
                              as a matter of fact i'm trying to do a ln to a url, just a project in my mind, i think it will be a little disastrous but i see my thinking was not wrong XD
                              [/offtopic]
                              I called my datacenter and whattaya know, you're right, except for one thing!

It turns out the new disk needs to be mounted as a primary disk, which means that the OS needs to be reloaded onto it, and then the old disk has to be made secondary.

Once we boot from the new disk, we can use rsync via SSH to clone the contents (plesk, www files, mysql, email, and cron) of the old disk onto the new one. If all goes well, then no further manual config will be needed; if not, I'll probably be pulling an all-nighter tomorrow, as the disk swap is scheduled first thing in the morning!
                              Adam

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X