Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Database error on new install, please assist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database error on new install, please assist!

I am installing the latest version of vBulletin, on a new server and freshly created database. this is my second instance of a licensed install and the previous one went with out a hitch, but that was prior to the 3.8.4 update, however that upgrade worked fine on the other server.
    Here is the error I got....
    Code:
    Database error in vBulletin :

Invalid SQL:
    INSERT INTO adminutil  (title, text) VALUES ('datastorelock', '0');

MySQL Error   : Duplicate  entry 'datastorelock' for key 'PRIMARY'
    Error Number  : 1062
    Request Date   : Wednesday, September 16th 2009 @ 06:32:26 PM
    Error Date    : Wednesday,  September 16th 2009 @ 06:32:27 PM
    Script        : http://ink-n-think-community-sphere....all.php?step=5
    Referrer       : http://ink-n-think-community-sphere....all.php?step=4
    IP  Address    : 67.82.230.6
    Username      : 
    Classname     :  vB_Database
    MySQL Version : 5.1.30
    and this
    Code:
    vBulletin datastore error caused by one or more of the following:       

You may have uploaded vBulletin 3.6 files without also running the
     vBulletin upgrade script. 
    If you have not run the upgrade script, do so now.
    The datastore cache may have been corrupted. 
    Run Rebuild Bitfields from tools.php, which you can 
    upload from the do_not_upload folder of the vBulletin package.

Fatal error: vBulletin datastore cache incomplete or corrupt in
    [path]/includes/init.php on line 224
    The first one actually generated three identical emails, the second one was the result of my following the suggestion to open the url index page!

There is one other difference between this and the other domain install, that being I have added the adsense association to be included in the admin cp, I have not yet upgraded my first one with that despite having downloaded it for that one as well!

Thanks for any help especially if it is expedient!

TSG!
    Last edited by The Smoking Gun!; Wed 16 Sep '09, 4:11pm. Reason: make second text area text wrap

Strange, I don't see any way to get that error if you are installing into an empty database. Are you?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Yes I am I just created my hosting account from my web host manager, including all the usual side languages, and then went in to that account's cPanel and created a new database, and used that infor tp populate the variables in the config.php file, and then ran the install, when i got to step four, it gave the first message, then when i went back to try again as suggested to refresh or click back, it generated the second, obviously the second one is referring to the newly created tables the vB install created, so what should I do???

Use the option in the previous step to delete all tables and try again?
      Or completely delete the database and try all over again?
      It is kind of frustrating considering i don't have allot of time to do this, and it took me three days to get my license due to Metacharge issues with my bank card, apparently they have been red flagged for too many consumer disputes with them, not vB, so you might consider an alternate "quick" payment portal, fortunately i figured out how to switch my Paypal funding to allow an instant payment despite not having the funds in my paypal account or I might still be trying to buy the damn thing LOL!

Thanks for the feedback Steve!
      Let me know which is the best way to proceed from here, I gotta get this done!

TSG!

Comment

Empty that database and try again. You cannot get that error on a clean db.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It's a guess, but it's the first thing I'd look at. Check the user's permissions for the database. I suspect that the user for the DB doesn't have ALTER TABLE permissions, and that the install script has already been ran once in a failed attempt to install.

On a fresh install with vBulletin, there's nothing to be lost by just dropping the database and re-creating it. Make sure you have given the DB user ALL permissions other than GRANT. This should get you past the hurdle that most people have when dealing with MySQL inside a cPanel environment.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

That's what I ended up doing, but it was in fact a new database and I am not sure which error you are referring to anyway, the first one, or the second one, as I said, the second one was responding to the table populated by the previous step, there can be no way there was any data in a new database. I would appreciate such clarity in your responses if I have future needs to post here for help, after all I went to great measure in trying to post as clearly and accurately as possible, I shouldn't have to guess what the answers refer to!

Thanks for the attention none the less.

TSG!

Comment

The error I was referring to was the one you listed in your first post.

Invalid SQL:
              INSERT INTO adminutil (title, text) VALUES ('datastorelock', '0');

MySQL Error : Duplicate entry 'datastorelock' for key 'PRIMARY'
              Error Number : 1062
              That was the only error. The second thing you posted was just a vB report of the same MySQL error.

This indicates that the installation had been previously ran, the entry already existed, and the user attempting to run the script when this error was received did not have the appropriate permissions to modify it.

I really don't know how much clearer to be in my response, and I'm sorry if it didn't help.

You need to give the user ALL permissions other than GRANT. If the user has ALL permissions for access to the database, and vB is set up to use that user account, then there is no way it can't ADD, DROP, DELETE, MODIFY, INSERT, etc any table it needs to work on.

If my use of caps is what's offsetting you, then you aren't understanding the standard MySQL syntax. I'm not shouting.
              Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Smoking Gun! View Post
                That's what I ended up doing, but it was in fact a new database and I am not sure which error you are referring to anyway, the first one, or the second one, as I said, the second one was responding to the table populated by the previous step, there can be no way there was any data in a new database. I would appreciate such clarity in your responses if I have future needs to post here for help, after all I went to great measure in trying to post as clearly and accurately as possible, I shouldn't have to guess what the answers refer to!

Thanks for the attention none the less.

TSG!
                The first error is a result of refreshing the page or pressing the back button in your browser. The second error is the result of trying to run the installation again after it was partially completed.

Start the installation again and in step three it will give you the option to delete tables in the database. Since it is supposed to be a clean install in a new database, delete all the tables and continue. The installation should proceed as normal.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by bigwater View Post
                  The error I was referring to was the one you listed in your first post.

That was the only error. The second thing you posted was just a vB report of the same MySQL error.

This indicates that the installation had been previously ran, the entry already existed, and the user attempting to run the script when this error was received did not have the appropriate permissions to modify it.

I really don't know how much clearer to be in my response, and I'm sorry if it didn't help.

You need to give the user ALL permissions other than GRANT. If the user has ALL permissions for access to the database, and vB is set up to use that user account, then there is no way it can't ADD, DROP, DELETE, MODIFY, INSERT, etc any table it needs to work on.

If my use of caps is what's offsetting you, then you aren't understanding the standard MySQL syntax. I'm not shouting.

No No No,....I wasn't referring to you bigwater, in fact, until this came in to my mail box I didn't know you even replied to this thread!

I was referring to Steve's post not yours bigwater.

So no worries about your posting, nor would I ever interpret syntax as shouting, but I am as mystified as you are with that first error, and I did give myself ALL permissions as the DB user, so that is not the root of this issue (bad pun intended )

So what I did is pretty much what you had suggested, despite not seeing either of your posts, nor Wayne's for that matter, until just now, and I have no idea how you managed to sandwich it between my responses to Steve and not see them there either LOL!.

I went ahead and used the delete all tables option and let it run it's course and it seems to have installed successfully, barring no future domino effect if something is not right, so as I am setting up the options and perms, I would imagine I would be advised of any underlying issues before the board starts getting populated by my very small team, and new member sign-ups.

Thanks for all the help everyone, and no problem with your answers bigwater, they are appreciated.

I realize the volume of traffic from licensees might keep you from having the time to address issues as I might expect to see in the responses Steve, but when I am getting frustrated with such an impossible (this actually is not that uncommon for me to get the most unlikely sequences of events and impossible circumstances , but don't know why, since aside from winning the lottery of course, despite the odds of the rest of those things that happen to me being much greater than the odds of my winning said lottery) error, I become a little more impatient when the response given leaves me with more questions, so I apologize for my remark as it is stated, and should have just asked for clarification rather than complain about the reply since it was initially, rather expedient, and even though I couldn't wait for the additional reply, and I went ahead with confidence in my knowledge that the "caution" given on that step of the installation, wasn't meant to be taken literally, since one can in fact replace all the deleted tables and therefore is actually "sort of" reversable, maybe you might consider revising thst warning in that step to say that if executed, on a 1st time install it can be done again by restarting the install, rather than indicate that if one follows through there is no turning back ever.

Anyway, thanks again for the excellent support, it is in fact appreciated very much!

TSG!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X