Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrade or start afresh?

Hello

I could do with some advice from you experts please! I have never upgraded my vBulletin before (the thought terrifies me as I have over 5,000 members and I'm scared of doing it wrong and losing it ). So I have a few questions:

I'm currently running 3.6.0 and want to upgrade to the latest version.

I also plan to buy another vBulletin licence to start another totally new forum on another topic on another website.

1. Would it be a good idea to install the new vBulletin alongside my current forum. Get it all set up with my current forum templates, import my current forum database, check it all works and then change the settings and use that as my current forum.

Then take the old 3.6.0 forum, delete the database and revert all the templates, then upgrade it to the latest version at my leisure and use it for my new forum when I'm ready.

My thinking is that it would be easier than upgrading the current forum from 3.6.0 while it is in use.

2. Would this be ok with vBulletin? or does it break any rules of use/terms of service on the licence?

I bet none of this makes sense but it does to me!!

I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this or any better advice.

Thanks for reading

i would turn your forums off then backup all files and backup the database using SSH then just upload all the new files overwriting the old one's but leave out the images folder do not upload that..

then see if all is well with the templates and do any editing you have to do to them from with admincp as there is a side by side option there to help you..

upgrade/update any hacks you have installed.. that about it..

wD
    Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X