Upgrade from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4

Should I update the patches one at a time to 3.8.3 or just jump to 3.8.4?

You cannot patch your way to an upgrade. You need to upgrade normally. Please follow the upgrade documentation here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/upgrade/
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, so 3.8.4 is a full blown upgrade and 3.8.1, 3.8.2, & 3.8.3 were just simple patches? correct?

Comment

You can only patch the immediate previous version. You need to do a fill upgrade. There is no other option.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

OK, let me see if I can ask this in a different way. I have access to 3.8.2 and 3.8.3. Would it be better if If I go to 3.8.2 followed by 3.8.3 and then 3.8.4.

or

Is it best I go from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4 using the upgrade procedures that you pointed me to?

Comment

No. Download 3.8.4 and upgrade normally as per the instructions I've already linked to. Sorry if that was not clear.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I will run the update in a couple of hours, from 3.8.1 to 3.8.4.

When the update is done, will I lose plugins, skins, or any mod?
              If it so, how can I make a back up?

Comment

The latest build of vBulletin, which is 3.8.4, will have the previous security fixes, it will have the latest bug fixes, and it will have the appropriate upgrade files.

Once backed up the files and the database, you upload the 3.8.4 files, and run the upgrade.php file. The upgrade script will walk you through all the versions and updates you need for your particular instance (auto detects this), all the way up until you end up in your admin control panel again.

To backup a database, I recommend the SSH shell method, go to http://vBulletin.com/go/backup/ for more information.

Also back up your file.

You can use the config.php file from your current 3.8.x release on 3.8.4.

Skins from 3.8.x will usually work on 3.8.4, but after upgrading it will list there are X customized templates not upgraded. You can ignore that, and see if everything works on your site, if not, you might need to customize those to include the latest code to make them work again, or revert that template.

Mods for 3.8.x will work on 3.8.4, I have yet to find 1 that did not.

Summery:

- close forum
                - backup
                - upload 3.8.4 without the images/ directory
                - remove install.php
                - run only upgrade.php, until you are upgraded to 3.8.4
                - test the forum and optionally check for templates, plugins that need updating
                - open the forum

Comment

How do I 'close' my forum?

Comment

AdminCP -> vB Options -> Turn your site on and off:
                    Fill in the reason change the setting click save.

Comment