Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing vBulletin in Hostgator account

Hi all,

** i have no prior experience in web development nor as an admin/webmaster but realized i should have started long time back,, but better late than never**

I've just purchased a vBulletin and am struggling to get it installed in my hostgator account. Infact, i dont know whether i should install it directly to my server or download in my local system first.. I have seen few options given in the manual.. and it's tough to make out what's best for me..

secondly, i get freak out whenever i see instructions to change settings like mysql database name (which i am confused whether i should be contacting hostgator to get it) and....etc..etc

Plz help me out... better still, show me the easiest way to install it in my hostgator account... tell me what should i be asking from hostgator..

Also plz tell me whther i should install vBadvanced CMPS first.. like in joomla CMS, we can insatll SMF easily as a component..
    Last edited by naoba; Sun 9th Aug '09, 12:47am. Reason: more details
    How long will it take for vB to become xenForo?

First, you shouldn't be asking HostGator to do anything for you. Installing a forum is your responsibility.

Second, have you read the instructions in the vBulletin manual? If you follow them step by step you will not only have your forum installed, but you will learn a lot about servers, databases, mysql, etc.

Finally, you must have your vB forum installed first before vBadvanced.
    CHIMPIE | SKYWARN | EMTLIFE

Comment

Thank you Chimpie... I am trying and seem to have figured out something..

i hope there ain't a single thing which I shouldn't mess up lest i'll have to purchase vBulletin again

Comment

Ask hostgator if they have an instruction set on how to setup a database. Most web hosts will be happy to help you set a database up and walk you throught the settings.

You will probably have to edit the config.php file but hostgator can help you with the database name and probably the password, and other settings you may need for setting the forum up.

I always download the files to my local machine, edit the files and then upload them to my hosting account via an FTP application.

Advice on vbadvanced would be better asked over at their forum as that is more their specialty and they would have a better understanding of its installation and how to properly administer that addition to you installation.
        www.Copiertalk.com - Everything Copier , Printer, Fax

Comment

Originally posted by naoba View Post
          Thank you Chimpie... I am trying and seem to have figured out something..

i hope there ain't a single thing which I shouldn't mess up lest i'll have to purchase vBulletin again
          If you mess up you won't have to purchase another license. At worst you'll just have to redownload and reinstall everything.

Comment

thank a lot...

i have successfully installed vBulletin... now over to vBadavanced

Comment

Great job!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X