How much PHP Memory is required for vBulletin 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much PHP Memory is required for vBulletin 3.8

Right now I'm running version 3.5.4. And I've been having many recurring problems with members clicking on a link in my forum to another area or a post, and just getting a blank screen with the message "done" in the bottom of the browser.

I'm on a shared server with Liquid Web. I've been on their server for several months, and everything worked fine. But a little over a week ago, I started getting the blank screens intermittently.

Liquid Web has attempted many different things, but haven't been able to solve the problem. Yesterday, I was told by one of their technicians the following:

You may have to think about upgrading to an option that has more memory available for your applications to run in ( is it vBulletin perhaps ).
    So I got up this morning at 4:00am when nobody was on my forum and did some checking. And I got several blank screens. For a while there I was getting many blank screens in a row.

I just got off the phone with a server tech, and he said it is probably because of vBulletin using too much PHP memory for the shared server. He said that the shared server that I was on only allocates 64 MB of PHP memory. He said that I may need to go to a Virtual Private Server that allows more memory.

I'm trying to figure out what to do. Should I upgrade my vBulletin to version 3.8 first and see if that fixes the problem. Or should I move to another server or go with a VPS server first and then upgrade?

Thanks,

John
    My forum: http://dirtydozensbunker.com

Out of the box, vBulletin should work fine in 64 MB of memory. If you have addons, then it would depend on how optimized that addon is.

I'd definately recommend upgrading to 3.8.2 from 3.5.4. 3.8.2 would be better able to take advantage of the newer features in PHP 5 and MySQL 5. It also has better caching functionality.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

The add ons I've got are Photoplog Lite v.2.0.4 and v3 Arcade.

I think I'll upgrade, and see what happens before I go to a VPS.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I don't remember how heavy Photoplog was. I guess it would depends on what kinds of image manipulation it does.

The arcades should be relatively light as the games are Flash based and execute on the end-user's computer. I guess it would depends on the widgets and queries they insert everywhere to show how many games a user has played in the last timeframe.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

From my Experience 64 MB is more than enough, even with a couple Add-ons installed (we are running ~ 100 vB installations with a PHP memory limit of 35 MB just fine).

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            I don't remember how heavy Photoplog was. I guess it would depends on what kinds of image manipulation it does.

The arcades should be relatively light as the games are Flash based and execute on the end-user's computer. I guess it would depends on the widgets and queries they insert everywhere to show how many games a user has played in the last timeframe.
            Thanks for the info. I wouldn't think Photoplog would be using much memory when nobody is using it at 4:00. And I was the only person in the forum at that time when I was checking the forum. And I was getting blank pages.

Maybe there could be some errors in the vBulletin software, and the upgrade will take care of it.

And thanks for your reply as well Andreas.

John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X