Problem with installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with installation

In the last 2-3 upgrades I have had a problem.

When I click on some of the steps, instead of being taking to a new page, the browser asks me whether I want to download or open a file.

I went through some of the steps by changing the URL manually, but it's scary.
    Vote for these issues:

looks like php is not installed right on your server, go ask your webhost about it.
    Simple Straight Forward EU cPanel vBulletin Web Hosting Provider.

Comment

Either that or those files were not uploaded correctly and.or have the wrong file permissions.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.

Note: You need to set your FTP client to upload the following file extentions in ASCII format:

php
      html
      htm
      css
      js
      xml

Then if you still have this problem, check the file permissions. This depends on the server but generally the .php scripts shoukd be chmod'd to 644.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
        Either that or those files were not uploaded correctly and.or have the wrong file permissions.
        Uploading should be fine. I never had problems with this issue before.

Files seem to have 644 permissions. Any file in particular?

I just realised that I forgot to rename the admin folder prior to uploading. Could this be the cause?

Although VB seemed to upgrade, on the admincp I see the old version number.

What do I do. Run the upgrade again?
        Last edited by malmazan; Thu 16 Apr '09, 10:15pm.
        Vote for these issues:

Comment

If the files are correctly uploaded and the permissions are good, then this is a server issue. You need to contact your host about this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

If the files are correctly uploaded and the permissions are good, then this is a server issue. You need to contact your host about this.
            What do I do about the wrong version number?

(The upgrade on my test VB came out allright)
            Last edited by malmazan; Sun 19 Apr '09, 3:04am.
            Vote for these issues:

Comment

Wrong version number where?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Wrong version number where?
                Admin cp
                Vote for these issues:

Comment

Than that means you did not upgrade correctly. First reupload all the 3.8.2 non-image files. Make sure you upload these in ASCII format, overwrite the ones on the server, and that version 3.8.2 shows in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Then run 'upgrade.php' again.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by malmazan View Post
                    What do I do about the wrong version number?

(The upgrade on my test VB came out allright)
                    I procrastinated on this and ... it fixed itself ...
                    Vote for these issues:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X