Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwagenheim
    replied
    Finally upgraded without issue. The problem was on the host end. When changing servers to update the MySQL, the database was not moved properly.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by dwagenheim View Post
    Ok. When you say add-ons, are you talking about my browser?
    No, I meant what I posted previously:

To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
    Nonetheless as I also said if you still get an Internal Server error after that, then this really is a server error as the name indicates and you need to contact your host.

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    replied
    screen capture

This is what I get when I try to run the update script.
    Last edited by dwagenheim; Mon 30th Mar '09, 7:47am.

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Uploading the vB files and disabling add-ons can be done without access to the Admin CP. If you still get an Internal Server error after that, then this really is a server error as the name indicates and you need to contact your host.
    Ok. When you say add-ons, are you talking about my browser?
    I've done that.

I'm working with my host as well.

That error I pastes was while trying to run the install script. I am not sure if that is even appropriate, since while following instructions, I am supposed to be running the upgrade.php script.

When I run that, I get the blank page.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Uploading the vB files and disabling add-ons can be done without access to the Admin CP. If you still get an Internal Server error after that, then this really is a server error as the name indicates and you need to contact your host.

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    replied
    To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file.
    I did this. Still no luck.

Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?
    I don't think I can do any of this until my admin page comes up.

d

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    replied
    Well for now, I am not able to run the upgrade script since the first time when I found out my MySQL needed to be updated. As far as I know the site is now on the updated MySQL site exactly the same as it was previously.

I got through 4 steps of the upgrade process before getting to the Admin page before. But now, running the upgrade.php just gets me a blank screen.

Right now I cannot access the admin page, so I am not sure how to proceed how you last stated.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Internal Server errors are generally related to either a server problem, or added code to the vB files and/or templates.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it.

Do you have the same problem?

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    replied
    I uploaded the forums via FTP. The username and pw are all the same as on previous address. So I don't know why there would be any difference. Maybe because the system name is different IP address until the DNS is switched back?

I am getting an error:

500 Internal error

Internal Server Error
    Hints :-

1. Check logs files in /var/log/ensim/ for debug information
    2. Ensure URL typed is correct

From my host when trying to edit config.php directly on the database.

The site name is in the config.php. Are these problems because the site is at a new IP address right now?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Did they move your database over too? If so you need to ask them for the db name, and user name and password on that server.

Note: The most likely cause of this error is that the info in your config.php file is wrong or your db user does not have full permissions to this database. Please read this for all the known causes of this error:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194542

Leave a comment:

• dwagenheim
    started a topic Trouble Upgrading

Trouble Upgrading

Hi,
    I started upgrade (3.5.2 to 3.8) process without knowing that my server MySQL was not recent enough. I got to 4th step and then was notified. So, I contacted my host and they had me transfer the site to a new system. I did and then tried to run the upgrade.php script but have not had any luck.
    My browser page is completely blank. I removed Google toolbar, just in case that was affecting it, but still no luck.

I tried running the install.php but couldn't get past Step 2:

Step 2) Connect to the database

Attempting to attach to database

Error description: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user '(signin)'@'localhost' (using password: YES) /var/www/html/(forum)/includes/class_core.php on line 311

The database has failed to connect because you do not have permission to connect to the server. Please confirm the values entered in the 'includes/config.php' file.

Anyway, I feel a little lost in this process, as it is my first upgrade. I've had a friend help me with ones previously.

Any help appreciated.

Dave
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X