Up-to-date installation instructions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up-to-date installation instructions?

So, I finally took the plunge and purchased my own vBulletin license. Now, of course, I'd like to install the software at my site and begin using it.

When I turned to the online manual, however, I immediately ran into some rather troubling signs. At the bottom of some pages are user comments indicating that the installation instructions in the manual are woefully out of date. They apparently pre-date vBulletin 3.6!

What's the story? I'd really like to have a smooth, problem-free installation -- where are the instructions for installing 3.8?

What part are you having trouble with?
    Lats...

Comment

Hi, Lats, and thank you for asking. I'm not having any trouble yet. I like to read the instructions in advance, though, and so started printing out the Installation section of the manual. When I got to the sub-sections on config.php and MySQL, though, I started running into comments which said things like "It is no longer necessary to do this for vBulletin 3.6." That seemed to indicate that the manual is woefully out of date. And that I shouldn't rely on it at all.

Comment

Ah, I believe the manual is a work-in-progress and gets updated whenever the pressure is low - which is not very often when new releases are due
        Lats...

Comment

Lats, I don't see the point in vBulletin having a manual that is so badly out of date. Apparently it hasn't been updated since version 3.5. That was a long time ago!

In any case, I'm now in config.php and I feel hopeless. The instructions say that the whole installation process should take about 5 minutes. To me, this is a not very amusing joke, as I have no idea what to do with many of the config.php issues.

There are no instructions as to what a text editor is, or how to get one. There are very few indicators as to how to answer the questions. There is NOTHING on what kind of grammar config.php is using -- what parts of the various equations are necessary, and what are not?

Looking at the actual questions, I have no idea what to say or do. What kind of database do I have? What is the database name? What kind of Table prefix should I have? How am I supposed to know these things??? And those are only the first three of 19 questions.

I am looking at 19 questions that should be easy to answer. I'm not sure how to answer at least 8 of them, because so little guidance is provided.

What do I do now -- anyone???????????

= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

On edit: I'm sorry if this puts people off, but I just don't understand why proper, complete instructions cannot be given for installation. It is the one thing that absolutely everyone must do. Many people doing it will have no prior experience whatever in editing text, dealing with a database, etc. Why not make it easy? Why let it be painful, when it doesn't have to be? It would probably take a knowledgeable person one day to write up a set of really good, really clear directions.
          Last edited by Baba Wawa; Fri 27 Mar '09, 7:03pm.

Comment

Okay, I'll try it question by question. (Because, really, I have no idea how to answer these questions.)

What text editor should I use? Will Crimson Editor be okay?

Q. 1: Database type. Apparently it's better if I specify mysqli, but how do I know whether to use mysql or mysqli?

Q. 2: Database name. How do I find out what the database name is?

Q. 3: Table prefix. How do I find out what prefix the tables will have in the database?

Q. 4: Is there any harm in leaving this blank? Should I delete the current entry? ([email protected] ?)

Q. 5: Force empty SQL mode: Is there any harm in leaving this value at false? Is there any gain in changing it to true?

Q. 6: Master DB server name and port: It says I can leave the default values. Does it really make no difference? wouldn't it be better to put in the real values? how would I obtain the real values?

Q. 7: Master DB username and password: Are these my usual username and password for my hosting account? or do I need to obtain something new to access MySQL?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm still looking over the other questions. Answers to the above would be a great start.

Comment

Finishing up the config.php questions

Continuing through the remaining configurations --

Q. 8: Master DB persistent connections: I can apparently leave this as is.

Q. 9: Slave DB configuration: will leave as is.

Q: 10: Path to control panels: Changing the names of these folders seems to be implicitly recommended. Would changing them make a real difference to security?

Q. 11: Full path to Forums Directory: No change seems to be necessary.

Q. 12: Users with Admin log viewing permissions: leave as is.

Q. 13: Users with Admin log pruning permissions: leave as is.

Q. 14: Users with Query running permissions: At present, there does not seem to be anyone with such permissions. Should it read = '1'; as Questions 12 & 13 do???

Q. 15: Undeletable users: Same question as for Q. 14. Should this read = '1'; as Questions 12 & 13 do?

Q. 16: Super Administrators: leave as is. (Value given is '1'; same as for Questions 12 & 13.)

Q. 17: Datastore Cache Configuration: Do I need to make any changes here? (How would I find out what method I am using for caching datastore items?)

Q. 18: Datastore Prefix: I still have two phpbb3 forums on my host. Each has fewer than 100 posts, and is currently inactive. Will there be any interference from them? I'll be deleting them in the next couple of weeks, but should I add a prefix here just in case? What is an appropriate prefix? Should it be the same prefix as the database table prefix (in Q. 3, above)?

Q. 19: MySQLI Options: leave as is.

The End.
              Last edited by Baba Wawa; Fri 27 Mar '09, 7:18pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                Okay, I'll try it question by question. (Because, really, I have no idea how to answer these questions.)

What text editor should I use? Will Crimson Editor be okay?
                Pretty much anything will work
                Q. 1: Database type. Apparently it's better if I specify mysqli, but how do I know whether to use mysql or mysqli?
                If you're not sure what php extensions you have installed, just go with mysql
                Q. 2: Database name. How do I find out what the database name is?
                If you haven't created one yet, you or someone needs to do so. If a database has already been created, ask your tech team what it is, along with the username and password
                Q. 3: Table prefix. How do I find out what prefix the tables will have in the database?
                They dont need a prefix unless there is other data in the database that you are installing into. If there are already tables in the database, add a prefix here and thats what the prefix will be. Its so the vb database won't copy over existing data.
                Q. 4: Is there any harm in leaving this blank? Should I delete the current entry? ([email protected] ?)
                I don't know if there would be a problem leaving this blank, but its sure nice to have any errors emailed to you.
                Q. 5: Force empty SQL mode: Is there any harm in leaving this value at false? Is there any gain in changing it to true?
                no
                Q. 6: Master DB server name and port: It says I can leave the default values. Does it really make no difference? wouldn't it be better to put in the real values? how would I obtain the real values?
                Most likely you won't need to change these. You would change 'localhost' if your database was located on a server other than the one that the forum will be run off of. If your database server is running on a different port than standard you will need to change that value. If you don't know what it is you need to contact your technical support for your server.
                Q. 7: Master DB username and password: Are these my usual username and password for my hosting account? or do I need to obtain something new to access MySQL?
                No one can tell you the answer to that except for your hosting company.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm still looking over the other questions. Answers to the above would be a great start.

Comment

Dutch Treat, many thanks! You have really helped me a lot.

The two main mysteries at present seem to be Q. 2 (Database name) and Q. 3 (Table prefix).

As to Q. 2, Database name -- what does a database name look like? how would I know if one has been created or not? (My database server seems to use MySQL 5, if that helps.) I have two installations of phpbb3 in my hosting account now - presumably each of them has a database? a database name? how would I recognize those names?

(Please forgive me my total ignorance as to databases. Everything about them is very confusing to me.)

As to Q. 3 (Table prefix) -- I'm sorry, I just don't understand about this. What does a table prefix look like? what should I choose for a prefix?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The main remaining questions are Q. 14 & Q. 15 -- Users with query running permissions; and Undeletable users. Shouldn't these values be '1'; ? As currently configured, there are no entries here at all. That is, they just say ' ';

The other questions about Users all have the value '1'; -- which I believe refers to User id 1 (i.e., me)? That's why I'm thinking that Q. 14 & Q. 15 should have the same values.

Again, many thanks for your kind help.

Comment

If you have phpMyAdmin on your server, you can create database.
                    Ussually, database name is your username (when you login on your host account) and name of database (which you name it when creating database)...
                    Let me give you example, if your username to login in your host is wood, and your database name (when you created) are temple, then in config php for database name you will put wood_temple

Database prefix you can have it, but not important if you have created empty database.
                    Usually is vb_ for vBulletin, but you can put it what ever you want...shorter = better. My suggestion is to go without any database prefix.

Hope I help a little.
                    Sorry for my english language

Comment

Sunka, everything you said is very helpful! You have cleared up several mysteries for me. Thank you so much.

Comment

What directions do you feel are out of date? The manual as updated as nessary, some parts of the manual are still current even if they were written for version 3.5. If you can think of any specific area where you feel they're out of date with the current version we will update them.

Comment

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/

the 'Uploading vBulletin Scripts to Your Web Server' step

im stuck on this step, can someone walk me through how to upload to my website on siteground. im tryin to use smartftp like the example said, but am not sure how to link up everything to my website...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X