Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from 3.7.x to 3.8 latest..what do other big forums do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manning
    replied
    I think most big forums and for that matter probably most who have numerous mods installed don't update at all. Update and overwrite your forum with a new release and you could create hours and days of work for yourself.

Look at all the database issues and how many people are complaining about their forums being slower with the latest upgrade - is it worth the potential headaches to update a site which is currently working exactly how you want it to?
    Last edited by manning; Mon 9 Mar '09, 6:34am.

Leave a comment:

• Mr_Butter
    replied
    Agreed - how big is "big" for you?

Over a million posts? How many posts? Users? Forums? How many addons? What addons?

Styles are normally a non-issue. It's just somewhat of a pain to edit them in accordance with the template edits since your last update. If you BOUGHT the style then it's likely that whoever you purchased it from has a new download up for the newest vB version.

But yeah, first question is how big are your forums...

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    That depends on the webmaster for those forums and how you define 'big'. I upgrade with every release.

Leave a comment:

• anderow
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Uness you are running 3.7.5 there is no patch you can use to plug all holes.

Thanks.

Also, please can you edit my title to read

'what do other BIG forums do'!!

'Bug forums' was a spelling error!!

I am currently running

3.7.3 Patch Level 1.

Also, it doesnt really answer my question!!! Do other big forums upgrade at every version change??

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Uness you are running 3.7.5 there is no patch you can use to plug all holes.

Leave a comment:

• Upgrading from 3.7.x to 3.8 latest..what do other big forums do?

ok, so my forum is quite big and upgrades take a lot more planning nowadays.

Also, I am running a custom template and quite a lot of addons and mods.

What do other big forums do when a new version comes out?

Is it worth my while to go through the trauma of upgrading or can I just patch my 3.7 version up to close the exploiots that have been found? (and resulted in 3.8)

I am concerned that my forum will break or I will not be able to get some of the mods running again...and what will I gain from this upgrade please?

Also, I read a very good thread about the best way to do an upgrade on a busy forum but I cannot find it anywhere?

Could someone please link it if they know the one I am talking of?

thanks