Upgrading to 3.8.1 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to 3.8.1 problem

I'm trying to upgrade a client from 3.7.4 to 3.8.1 and have encountered a database snag -

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/local/mysql-5.0/data/mysql.sock' (2)
    /home/content/i/n/s/inspectorallen/html/includes/class_core.php on line 311

MySQL Error :
    Error Number :
    Request Date : Wednesday, February 11th 2009 @ 12:02:35 PM
    Error Date : Wednesday, February 11th 2009 @ 12:02:35 PM
    Script : http://www.inspector.ws/install/upgrade.php
    Referrer :
    IP Address : ************
    Username :
    Classname : vb_database
    MySQL Version :
    Help???
    Peggy
    ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Assuming the db info in your config.php file is correct, this is a server issue. Please see this page for the causes of this error:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/cantconnect
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

It is correct. I checked and re-checked it.

Thank you Steve.
      Peggy
      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Steve, customer service at GoDaddy hosting is telling us that the index.php file is wrong.
        How can it be wrong?? It's the index.php file right from 3.8.1

He said I should know how to fix it. I'm not a coder or programmer!!!
        Peggy
        ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Do you have a backup copy of the config.php file that was running with 3.7.4? That file will work just fine with 3.8.1. Just copy it back over.

PM me at your site if you can't get past this. I need to talk to you anyway.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

That person at GoDaddy has no clue what they are talking about. If the config.php info is correct, then this is a server issue. If the info is not correct, then you could get that error.

As bigwater said you can use the same config.php file you had before.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I wish I still had it, but of course, I overwrote it. This'll teach me

Thanks
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Steve

I was trying to assist ohiosweetheart with this issue and all is correct in config.php. What I noticed and wanted your opinion on Steve is this:

The error returned at the start of the upgrade is:

Database error in vBulletin :
                mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/usr/local/mysql-5.0/data/mysql.sock' (2)
                /home/content/i/n/s/inspectorallen/html/includes/class_core.php on line 311
                MySQL Error :
                Error Number :
                Request Date : Wednesday, February 11th 2009 @ 07:58:04 PM
                Error Date : Wednesday, February 11th 2009 @ 07:58:04 PM
                Script : http://www.inspector.ws/install/upgrade.php
                Referrer :
                IP Address : 200.108.XXX.10
                Username :
                Classname : vb_database
                MySQL Version :

yet the MySQL database version on the GoDaddy server is 4.1.+

-------
                Now, in file: /incldes/class_core.php it states this:

/**
                * Forces the sql_mode varaible to a specific mode. Certain modes may be
                * incompatible with vBulletin. Applies to MySQL 4.1+.
                * @param string The mode to set the sql_mode variable to
                */
                function force_sql_mode($mode)
                {
                $reset_errors = $this->reporterror;
                if ($reset_errors)
                {
                $this->hide_errors();
                }
                $this->query_write("SET @@sql_mode = '" . $this->escape_string($mode) . "'");
                if ($reset_errors)

My question is, is the upgrade try to connect to the db through mysql.sock for the wrong MySQL database version???? Should this mode variable be set for 4.1+??

GoDaddy leaves a lot to be desired with overloaded shared hosting and a lousy control panel. I have mine running on a VPS with a dedicated IP with no problems ever. I also have root or near root access and can see the mysql.sock file and on GoDaddy, I can┤t get 10 directories from the root.

I can not see anything else. I hope someone else┤s lightbulb comes on from this info!

Comment

That just confirms what Steve said, that this is a server issue. Doesn't it?
                  Peggy
                  ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Server issue?

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    That person at GoDaddy has no clue what they are talking about. If the config.php info is correct, then this is a server issue. If the info is not correct, then you could get that error.

As bigwater said you can use the same config.php file you had before.
                    All ohiosweethart did was to upload the update files and when she attempted to launch /upgrade.php, it errored. Saying it is a server problem at that exact moment does not make sense to me.

MySQL 4.1 compatability to the upgrade maybe.
                    Missing or corrupt mysql.sock file maybe.
                    Users on the board during upgrade maybe.

It is beyond me exactly what transpired and what to do about it, but I do know that Allen and Lesa need some qualified help on this and GoDaddy needs to get out of the hosting business.

Steve, please help if you can or point them in the right direction for someone qualified to help them. Thanks.

Comment

Note that they have opened a support ticket here as well, but haven't gotten anywhere with that, as of yet.
                      Peggy
                      ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Originally posted by Ohiosweetheart View Post
                        Note that they have opened a support ticket here as well, but haven't gotten anywhere with that, as of yet.
                        OK, thanks... I am bowing out gracefully now.

Comment

There's nothing more that I can do to help them either. I hope that vb support can.
                          Peggy
                          ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

GoDaddy = NoDaddy

This will probably get edited but.....

Do NOT use GoDaddy hosting for vB!

and BTW, do not use 'localhost' in your config.php if you are hosted there on a shared plan.... your MySQL host server name is determined at the time you create the database and it is never 'localhost' on Godaddy shared hosting.

If you need a great VPS hosting plan, send me an email!

Comment

OK thinking we had everything figured out I re-uploaded the vB files and no db error. YAAYYY!!! B UT.... I still can't run the upgrade script because I'm getting THIS error now....

´╗┐
                              Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/i/n/s/inspectorallen/html/includes/config.php:1) in /home/content/i/n/s/inspectorallen/html/includes/functions.php on line 3087
                              Help??
                              Peggy
                              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X