Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh install of vB 3.8.1: How to properly import existing database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh install of vB 3.8.1: How to properly import existing database?

Just looking for some clarification since I was unclear when referencing the install manual.

I have an existing database file that is roughly 900mb. We have decided to do a fresh install with vB 3.8.1 on our new server in order to clean things up and reorganize, as well as fix some recent issues we've been experiencing on the live site. Unfortunately we are having issues importing the database into this new install of vB on our test site.

When installing vB I followed the directions including going through the install.php file to configure the 'base database.' Can I just begin the import of our existing database and have it overwrite what was there, or is there a different way to go about this.

When we try to import the database using SSH, it never finishes the process. We've let it go for over an hour. For the first 20-25 minutes the CPU load of my VPS is at 200% or more, so its working hard. Then it reaches a point where the CPU load drops to 20% or less and thats about it.

SSH never indicates that it has completed the import, and using MySQL Administrator we are watching the number of lines within the tables fluctuate up and down, ever so slightly. The total number of lines is within one or two percent of the total lines on the live site, but the import never gets that high, it just hovers up and down slightly below that. Eventually we break down and stop the process.

Something we're missing? Hopefully someone can smack me upside the head with something obvious and we can figure this out ASAP as our forum is in need of some repairs and this is a major step in figuring out where things stand.

Thanks a lot,
    Bryan

If you insist on doing it this way then you have to install into a new database. If you install over the existing database, then you will lose everything.

As for the rest of your message it's not clear what you are doing. The only recommended method is to upgrade normally. Anything else will result in a lot of extra work and problems.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So when you say install into a new database you mean that I should not run the install.php script at all for what I am trying to accomplish?

The second part is me trying to explain how we are attempting a database restore using SSH, but its not working. Is this due to trying to overwrite the database info created when I ran install.php, or might there be something else wrong? I read people talking about importing 200 mb databases in a minute or two, so mine should take 5-10 max, and that isn't how things are going thus far... trying to figure out why.

Thank you very much,
      Bryan

Comment

Why are you trying to restore a database? If it's not working then chances are that backup is bad.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I am trying to accomplish what the threadstarter is doing as well. I want to install vbulletin from scratch (except I'm working with 3.7.1) and then import my existing database into the fresh install. I'm a little unclear on whether or not this is possible or what the steps would be to accomplish it.

Comment

If you restore a database, it will overwrite the current database. You can't merge two databases together and end up with one large database (well I don't think you can).

Process:

Copy vbulletin files to server.
            Create a new mysql database.
            Restore backup database over new database.

Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by glennybee View Post
              Process:

Copy vbulletin files to server.
              Create a new mysql database.
              Restore backup database over new database.
              When I follow these steps, then access my forum - I get redirected to /install/install.php - I'm not sure why VB thinks it is a new installation instead of just connecting to the DB that I have imported..?

Comment

Make sure you have completely restored the database and files, and that you do not have an .htaccess file doing some redirection.
                Last edited by Steve Machol; Thu 24 Feb '11, 12:11pm.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm now seeing that it is indeed a DB issue - the import completed and appears fine in phpMyadmin, but in cpanel it shows a filesize of 0MB.. I'm looking into what the issue is there, but please let me know if you have any clues for a solution. thanks!

Comment

I resolved the issue by accidentally leaving the OLD DB prefix from the original exported DB in place in the config.php file - hope this helps someone else having the same issue..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X