3.0 to 3.8 database error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 to 3.8 database error

This has got to be within the newer version of config.php.. I'm not doing something right.

If I use the old 3.0 config.php, database connects.. if I add correct username and user password to 3.8 config.php, I get a php error page..

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.
    An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.
    We apologise for any inconvenience.
    looking at source of error page, I get...

Code:
    <!--
    Database error in vBulletin :
    Link-ID == false, connect failed
    mysql error: 
    mysql error number: 0
    Date: Tuesday 27th 2009f January 2009 10:02:43 PM
    Script: [URL]http://www.mydomain.name/forumlocation/[/URL]
    Referer: 
    IP Address: my.personal.ip.address -->
    php Version 5.2.5

myql Version 5.0.67

I'm sure, due to the vastly different format of config.php, I'm goofing somewhere..

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!!

It simply means that you haven't edited the new config.php file with the correct information, or have edited it incorrectly.

There is some information about how to correctly edit the config.php file here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/editconfig
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
      It simply means that you haven't edited the new config.php file with the correct information, or have edited it incorrectly.

There is some information about how to correctly edit the config.php file here:
      http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/editconfig
      Thanks for the fast response Kerry-Anne, wish it was that simple, but maybe it is.. problem I'm having is I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.. There are vast differences between the 3.0 config.php and the 3.8 config.php.

As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything that is stated in the directions above where it says I do not have to change anything below.

Old version simply asked for db name, user name such as:

Code:
      // ****** DATABASE SERVER NAME ******
      // This is the hostname or IP address of the database server.
      // It is in the format HOST:PORT. If no PORT is specified, 3306 is used.
      // If you are unsure of what to put here, leave it at the default value.
      $servername = 'localhost';
      // ****** DATABASE USERNAME & PASSWORD ******
      // This is the username and password you use to access MySQL.
      // These must be obtained through your webhost.
      $dbusername = 'databaseusername';
      $dbpassword = 'databasepassword';
      // ****** DATABASE NAME ******
      // This is the name of the database where your vBulletin will be located.
      // This must be created by your webhost.
      $dbname = 'databasename';
      // ****** TECHNICAL EMAIL ADDRESS ******
      // If any database errors occur, they will be emailed to the address specified here.
      // Leave this blank to not send any emails when there is a database error.
      $technicalemail = [EMAIL="'[email protected]'"]'[email protected]'[/EMAIL];
      New version, obviously, asks a number of other questions... as far as I can tell, only editing the information that is above the portion in new instructions which call for modification, with same information as old config.php (dbname, dbuser, dbpassword, dblocation) it does not work...

I've been pulling my eyes out of their sockets for hours trying to find where I might be fouling this. Nobody has ever had problems when upgrading to a version prior to where the new config.php format is used?

Thanks again in advance.

Comment

Please submit a support ticket and include the relevant sections of both the old and new config.php files with your edits then we can give them a look over for any obvious issues.

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

I don't want to seem incredibly stupid, usually have been able to configure vbulletin quite easily.. but can you give me a link to where I would submit a support ticket?

I don't see a link anywhere..

Thanks

Comment

Sure, it's here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/members/mem...ontactform.php

(It's in my sig to BTW)

Twitter Blog

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X