Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin installations to upgrade my custom skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin installations to upgrade my custom skin?

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to run two separate installations of vbulletin running off the same server, if possible, or just have advice as to how to go best about what I'm trying to do.

I built a custom skin for vbulletin 3.7.4. Ordinarily I'd simply upgrade the board, and it reflects the changes. However, I have an issue, which is I need to now re-skin vb3.8. I'm trying to therefore run an fresh installation of the forums off a new sub directory, but I've no idea if 3.8.0 will be able to run off the old forum database.

If I can't do that, I think another route would be to copy the current forum, reupload, create a new database, and upgrade that. But then that causes more problems, in that I won't be able to keep the new 3.8.0 database updated with the changes made in the current 3.7.4 site.

My current concern is, if I upgrade the current 3.7.4 forum, I may break the functionality of the current forum maybe?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give. Hopefully that's somewhat clear. If you want me to expand a little more, just ask.

Thanks all.

Your current style will be fine after upgrading to 3.8.

There will be about 4 or 5 templates that will need reverting or editing after the upgrade (as with any upgrade). That's all.

What I did was upgrade my test board to 3.8, update the template with the new edits and save the style to my PC. I then upgrated my main board and imported the style, everything now sweet.

Comment

I've backed it up, and that does give me much needed confidence.

Will try it your way. Thanks Glenn.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X